What fish would be good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just about to set up yet another 4 foot tank and want to try something different. I am very interested in Cichlids,Gouramis and angels but never having kept these before don't know how and what they are compatable with.

According to one book they should get on well...another says not see my dilemma :?

What are you experiences with any of these fish and have you got any other ideas of possible companions. There will be a catfish with them as no tank is complete without one!

I have lots of African cichlid experience. Depending on the cichlid, I would only keep them with other cichlids of the same origin (with a pleco or catfish). Angels are a type of cichlid and I believe they can mix with gouramis, but I am not 100%.

Menagerie what cichlids would you recommend that would be happy in a 4 foot tank? Do they need to be kept in a group or on their own?

Sorry for all the questions but good research makes happy fishes :wink:

Good research does make fish happy :D
A 4 foot tank is about 240 liters, which is roughly 40 US gals. Personally, I would never keep the semi-aggressives or aggressives in anything less than 50 gals. There are cichlids that would do fine in 40 gals. My thoughts for now is you want cichlids from the same region (they will have the same water needs). Begin doing your own research and I can help along the way. Check out this link:
http://www.mongabay.com/fish/species_index
You can look at cichlids by origin, get basic knowledge and see pics. There are a ton of cichlids, just take your time.

Many thanks Menagerie Great link!

I am being drawn to the Acara and one I really like and know is available is the Keyhole Cichlid. The info states they are peaceful and that Gouramis are suitable companions. The info also says they are small at around 3-4 ins in captivity so my tanks should be ok for these. Obviously if they get bigger then I will have to get a bigger tank (any excuse :lol: ).

Right going to find out more on them!

imo ive never had angels but i think theyll only attack the gourami when they breed.

It all depends on the type of gourami. IME the angelfish are usually in more jeopardy then the gouramis are. Those long flowing fins become targets to quite a few fish.

If you're just starting out, the safest thing to do is not to mix species. If you angelfish keep only angelfish (excepting for cats).

The Acara is a beautiful fish! However, with a 40 gal tank, you may find that keyhole cichlids and gouramis will be easy to care for--both fish stay smallish. I have no desire to keep gouramis and although I read about them alot, the information doesn't stick. If Christmasfish doesn't pop on here, PM her and ask about gouramis. Smaller gouramies are more aggressive, larger ones are okay, group size plays a role.... Too many rules for those guys :roll:

Darn it ! Where is Alli!!!

She keeps angels and keyholes!

Dwarf gourami and angelfish may or may not mix. And angels just as gourami can get extra nasty if they breed. Specially the angels in that space.

How big are acara? and do they eat small tankmates? I hear that acara in general are kinds aggressive and large. Which means your seemingly large tank can get real small quick.

Cichlid SHAPED fish shouldn't register with any type of gourami as far as their little issues go. All need to be away from fin nippers becuase of those whiskers which are more than decorative in gourami.
So a 5 pack of dwarf gourami and the keyholes SEEMS like a mix. But I think it could bore you and you'd end up adding that one fish more to make all heck turn loose.

A handful of gourami species get kinda nasty to other highbody fish if they decide they are mutant gourami. Your blue adn two spot (as well as the morphs) are you larger gourami that can sometimes be a pain. Most other large species (moonlight, snakeskin, mosaics -ie pearl) are pretty mellow fish.

I would decide which continent and make it a biotope. Then you can find fish that will mix easier..... the acara wil be big enough and they do come in a lot of types.
showcase them adn then choose the neighbors that specifically suit them.
Gourami are not naturally exposed to cichlids and that is the ecological nich they fill at home. I think the only natural asian cichlids are SW.
Though it is a huge Family and Genus and I know little about them, I do know that my grandfather NEVER caught any where the gourami and betta were wild caught.

The only two Asian cichlids that come to me off the top of my head are the orange and green (banded) chromides, which are brackish.

I second (third?) the motion for keyholes and gouramis. I've kept the larger gourami species with angels and rams and had no problems, but in a slightly larger tank that was heavily decorated. Everyone mostly kept to themselves, but I would not attempt such a mix again with my angels now, as their personalities have changed as they have aged a bit. They are more likely to beat up anything as large as they are and peaceful, I would think, though to each other they only show off.

Thanks to all for your advice but now I'm thinking I maybe need to look at just one of the fish (possible cilchids) and building the tank mates around them. One solution I feel would work (and I am beginning to bore my partner so much that I might succeed) is to get a MUCH bigger tank that gives me more options :loopy: That way I could look at maybe some of the bigger cichlids and yet still have the 4" tank for Either angels or gouramis with more suitable companions.

Bigger tanks are better :wink: I would not mix Acaras with Keyholes. Acaras do get larger and can stand up for themselves quite well. Since my Blue Acara is in with more aggressive fish, he sometimes gets picked on. When I had a little Jack Dempsey, he picked on the much larger Acara too. I like the idea of a bunch of keyholes. The other cichlid I will highly recommend are Apistogrammas. Fun little guys!

Umm...240 liters is around 63 gallons not 40 gallons. 3.78liters = 1 us gallon. Now 240liters may be close to 40 imperial (UK) gallons but I'm not sure on that conversion.

What are the exact dimensions of the tank? 4ft long but depth and height?

Ok I went out to buy Cichlids :roll: I found plenty but nearly every tank in the shop had one or more dead fish in it! This is normally a good shop but not today :(

We went to another shop (Derby Garden Centre) who always have healthy fishys, people on hand to advise and are fairly priced. They don't carry the range of the other shop but healthy fish has to be a priority!

SO..............I Came home with 5 Veiltail Angels :silly: They are sooooo cute. Three are all black and the other two are a pearl color with hints of black.

I'm not giving up on the Cichlids but taking advise given on this board about deciding on the location of Cichlids I like and doing more research then when I have a clear plan I will have a new tank (got my own way :D ) and work from there.

patryuji

My 4 foot tank is 48" length x 24" wide x 24" deep (this tank was actually made for me). In total it is 100 UK gallons which after displacement = 90 Gallons. This would equal 120 US gallons or 108 after displacement.

There is a great tool here that works all this out for you

http://www.metric-conversions.org/volume/uk-gallons-to-gallons.htm

Back
Top Bottom