What fish would bettas encounter in the wild?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know that bettas originated in the rice paddies in southeast Asia, but what other fish do they live with? WHat fish would they encounter in the wild besides other bettas? :thanks:

Rasbora, danio, guppy, platie, swordtail and molly, all asian fish! Oh and gourami, but dont put dwarf gourami or its a fight!!

Rasbora, danio, guppy, platie, swordtail and molly, all asian fish! Oh and gourami, but dont put dwarf gourami or its a fight!!

Guppies, Platies, mollies, and swordtails are all new world fish, to my knowledge, ranging from southern US to South America.

Also, just because fish are found in the same part of the world doesn't mean that they would necessarily be found together. Many inhabit different habitats (ponds vs steams, for example).

Also, loaches would be found in Asian biotopes.

Yep, guppies and most livebearers are primarily From northern South America/Central America. Bettas come from slow moving streams,rice paddies, etc. I think they are concentrated in Thailand and the surrounding areas. They would probably live with other anabantoids and stream/pond dwelling fish in that area. Things like gouramis.

--Adeeb

Also, your typical betta spendens has been *modified* to fit human purposes. Many of them are much too aggressive to live in a biotope now. If you could find some wildtype bettas though.....

Or non-spendens.

Also, your typical betta spendens has been *modified* to fit human purposes. Many of them are much too aggressive to live in a biotope now. If you could find some wildtype bettas though.....

Or non-spendens.

I know that. Betta splendens are the domesticated bettas. I'm talking about the wild bettas that live in the rice paddies and other ponds of southeast Asia. I looked online and I found that other fish living in the same area are rasboras, gouramis, barbs, and some other fish.

Back
Top Bottom