What fish would do well in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks that was really helpful.
Dont you think that many fish is a little over stocked for an 18 gal or would it be fine? What decor/plants would you recommend?

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im thinking 7 neon tetras
4 sterba cories
3 guppies
1 male betta OR dwarf guoarmi

I like the natural look so i add a lot of smallish different looking rocks to the floor of the tank to break up the substrate till it's covered in plants. I haven't quite managed to do so yet, foreground plants don't thrive for me. I would do a quick google search of each species and Care eg Neon Tetra care. Most pages will tell you if you need anything specific within your tank to keep the fish chosen happy. I am still having to research all my fish before i buy them so just see if your fish will like some caves to hide in or anything. I think some cory species might be shy so might appreciate hiding spots.

In terms of plants i would start out with a few stems that do well with low light and that will reproduce reasonably quickly like Ludwigia Repens, Pennywort, and Cabomba. I quickly went from having 5 stems of Ludwigia to having to toss some into a second tank. Pennywort grows even faster. Anubias goes well in most tanks and comes in many shapes and sizes, has cool green roots that will wrap around rocks or wood when tied down. I also love Crypts, but they do like Root tabs which can be expensive (I am trying DIY Osmocote plus tabs this week). Of my Crypts, Brown Wendtii seems to grow fairly fast compared to Lucens and Red undulata but the three Crypt types i have now are doing well. Java moss is very easy to grow too but once in your tank it can be difficult to remove and stray parts will float away and begin growing almost anywhere.

Everyone has their own preferences with plants so i would probably try and have a read of this thread which has a great list of low light plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

As far as the number of fish i have in the aquarium being too high. I ran the numbers with Aquadvisor and it just tells me i need a few % more filtration (which i think plants will help with as long as i don't go way overboard). When it tells me that i stop adding and think about changing stock before i buy anything. The Tetras and Rasboras are quite small and have a low bioload. My Kuhlis will also eat almost everything that manages to sink to the floor of the aquarium so if i don't overfeed the stock number should be ok. The guppies you plan to add have a pretty high bioload for a fish of that size so they will reduce the number of fish you can stock by a bit. Maybe swapping them for something different on aquadvisor would allow you to add more fish if you wanted to go that way. Guppies are pretty though so keep them if you like them.

Sorry to get long winded.

I like the natural look so i add a lot of smallish different looking rocks to the floor of the tank to break up the substrate till it's covered in plants. I haven't quite managed to do so yet, foreground plants don't thrive for me. I would do a quick google search of each species and Care eg Neon Tetra care. Most pages will tell you if you need anything specific within your tank to keep the fish chosen happy. I am still having to research all my fish before i buy them so just see if your fish will like some caves to hide in or anything. I think some cory species might be shy so might appreciate hiding spots.

In terms of plants i would start out with a few stems that do well with low light and that will reproduce reasonably quickly like Ludwigia Repens, Pennywort, and Cabomba. I quickly went from having 5 stems of Ludwigia to having to toss some into a second tank. Pennywort grows even faster. Anubias goes well in most tanks and comes in many shapes and sizes, has cool green roots that will wrap around rocks or wood when tied down. I also love Crypts, but they do like Root tabs which can be expensive (I am trying DIY Osmocote plus tabs this week). Of my Crypts, Brown Wendtii seems to grow fairly fast compared to Lucens and Red undulata but the three Crypt types i have now are doing well. Java moss is very easy to grow too but once in your tank it can be difficult to remove and stray parts will float away and begin growing almost anywhere.

Everyone has their own preferences with plants so i would probably try and have a read of this thread which has a great list of low light plants.

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

As far as the number of fish i have in the aquarium being too high. I ran the numbers with Aquadvisor and it just tells me i need a few % more filtration (which i think plants will help with as long as i don't go way overboard). When it tells me that i stop adding and think about changing stock before i buy anything. The Tetras and Rasboras are quite small and have a low bioload. My Kuhlis will also eat almost everything that manages to sink to the floor of the aquarium so if i don't overfeed the stock number should be ok. The guppies you plan to add have a pretty high bioload for a fish of that size so they will reduce the number of fish you can stock by a bit. Maybe swapping them for something different on aquadvisor would allow you to add more fish if you wanted to go that way. Guppies are pretty though so keep them if you like them.

Sorry to get long winded.

Thanks! That was informational. Im gonna do some research now on google see what I can whip up!

So how about: 7 neons 4 sterba cories 1 betta What else could I add to that? Or is that enough for my 18gal tank Sent from my GT-I9197 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd skip the sterbai cories and go with a smaller species like panda cories.

Take aquadvisor with a grain of salt, great to start with but it has some issues and overstates stocking levels at times.

So how about:
7 neons
4 sterba cories
1 betta

What else could I add to that? Or is that enough for my 18gal tank

That's a great start. My personal preference I would have gone the other way and kept the guppies and went with a dwarf gourami and nixed the beta. Betas get boring to me after a while. But its all about what you like its your tank. I would step up to cardinals over neons tend to be a little hardier than neons and get a bit bigger. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I agree I like cardinals better myself too. I tried to get some for my daughters tank yesterday and I was told there is some sort of shortage on them!:nono:

I agree I like cardinals better myself too. I tried to get some for my daughters tank yesterday and I was told there is some sort of shortage on them!:nono:

interesting I wonder why. I haven't tried looking for them in a while.

i agree with going with a smaller species of corydoras, if any at all. most corydoras are very active and shouldn't be in anything under 30-48 inches. i would also up the school of tetras :) personally, i would go with a dwarf cichlid as a centerpiece, rather than a betta. apistogramma cacatuoides is a beautiful, very easy to care for, dwarf cichlid.

For the "big boy" in your tank you could use a gourami or angelfish but you need a better heater. You could also try schooling fish like danios, tetras and barbs(some barbs are semi-aggressive though). You could also have like mollies and plates in there! Just watch out, they breed like rabbits!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom