what gets along with bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackpuddle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are there any types of fish that I should avoid? The only ones I know to avoid for sure are semi-aggressive and ones that nip fins. Are there certain kinds of non-agressive fish that a betta might attack?

I don't keep bettas in a community tank, so I'm sure some others will chime in. I've read that bettas will attack fancy guppies, because of their bright colors and longish fins. The betta will think it's another betta. I have seen a betta in a tank of neon tetras in a hatchery. The poor betta was getting nipped by the tetras from all sides. The owner moved the betta.

I think some members here have bettas with cory catfish. The cories mostly stay at the bottom of the tank and would stay out of the betta's way.

Yup, keep other labyrinth fish away. Gouramis (especially blue paradise) the betta will probably attack. No nippers and no bigger finned fish. No barbs, silver dollars, angels (probably), guppies, etc.

Stay with good community fish, most tetras,livebearers, etc.

danios are good too, but not the long finned kind. No other long-finned fish. No aggressive fin-nippers, no other gouramis or the like.

when I had a betta in my community tank, I had it in with 2 bala sharks (they left each other alone), tetras, a bunch of bottom dwellers, and a killifish - now a kilifish is a top-dwelling species...I took a chance with that one...there was flaring for the first day or so, but after that, they got along fine.

I had a betta in a 20 gal with neons, zebras, cory cats, a gourami, and an angel and they were all fine.

A lot boils down to the individual temperment of each fish too. Just like you might get a betta that munches down on a ghost shrimp, and then one that leaves it alone.

My angles ripped apart a betta fish before I realized it. It all depends on the fish...

As you can see, bettas can get along with a lot of different fish. It also depends on the personalities of all the fish -- whether they will be ok together. From past discussions, some bettas do fine in a community tank and some will not. Try to put your betta with some of the other fish suggested. Just have a backup plan ( have a tank to put the betta into by himself) if the community tank doesn't work out for him. Good luck!

All the stuff I was lthinking of possibly putting in the tank you guys said are okay.

And I do have a backup plan ready incase he won't get along with anything.

I have a betta in my community tank with std n black neon, cardinal, black phantom,Ram, otto, cherry bard n shrimp. Everything when very well last 3 months, until i introduce a female betta into the tank last week.

The male start to make bubble nest and the betta spawn. Then the male when into protective mode n attack any fish that swim within 20cm from the nest inc otto.

I found the female was dead on monday. Then on tuesday, i saw a fully grown black neon lying restless on the leaf which i though maybe its time is up or some kind of internal infection.

n I though the male betta just chase the others until the male kill the black neon right in front my eye.

I notice it REALLY bite the fish that come near to the nest. As the bitten fish became weak n slow, the male betta will continue to pick that particular fish till the fish beyond recover.

Probabily the female betta was kill by the male betta too...

Btw, I have remove the betta and hatched fries to separate container.

I tried to reintroduce the male betta back to the main tank last nite but it still attacking others.

HTH

I have a betta, 2 cories and pleco in my 10 gal. I was nervous when I picked up an angelfish if he'd get along with my betta. After letting him in the tank and getting used to it, he took a nip at "Ralph" my betta. My heart sank cause I love angelfish, so I watched for a little while after Ralph swam off in a hurry. Then he surprised me, he swam around the back of tank and plopped down on a leaf, and watched the angel, all at once he took off, flared up, and chased the angel around the tank, and ever since then there hasn't been a problem with the two. They swim around each other without a care in the world. Now if they wouldn't fight to get the food out of my fingers and nip me in the process. :D :D

Back
Top Bottom