What have I done????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at the pet store with my mom today. She liked the blood parrot cichlids. So I decide to get two for my 30 gallon breeder. I do not even know if this tank is large enough for them. I then research them and find out how controversial they are. I had no clue they were cross bread and deformed. I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD ME!!! Well also while I am at the pet store I am thinking that since they are cichlids they like a higher PH so I get some crushed coral for my tank. Come to find out these ones do not like a higher pH. After I add all the crushed coral :( I will take any advice I can get. Thanks.

take them back and get some african cichlids that like a higher pH??? Or, keep them and give them a good home, but go ahead and take out all the crushed coral. Yes, it is a PITA, but depending on how much you like them, it'll be worth it :D hth!

Hehe yeah it is... Thanks for the advice but one problem :x I mixed them in with all the rock I just bought a few weeks ago. I want to cry :( (not really but almost)

go to Home Depot or Lowes and spend $3.50 on either a 50lb bag of sand or pretty rocks and save the other substrate for your next tank, because eventually you'll ahve more :mrgreen:

You could try leaving it - I find that in the substrate crushed coral does not drastically buffer your water, especially mixed in with gravel, but that's just been my experience, with my particular tap water.

I would test it over a period of weeks and see if you see any change. If you see a rise in pH, GH and KH then you will certainly know the source.

If you are not attached to the fish and object to how they are bred, then definitely return them. I will never forget the lovely 4" red tailed catfish I saw at PetsMart - the markings were great and I just had to have that fish. I resisted and researched when I got home and boy am I glad I did not get the fish! They should not even be sold as aquarium fish at all - they get as big as I am 8O It pays to do your homework.

Personally I believe the "controversy" is overrated.

I never understood what the difference is between a fish like this and the different goldfish mutations. The main argument against Parrot Cichlids is that they can't properly close their mouths. Well, telescope eyed goldfish can't properly see. Many Oranda goldfish's wens (hoods or headgrowths) grow over their eyes. Egg-shaped goldfish can't properly digest their food.

It extends to pets like dogs and cats. Basset Hounds are prone to back problems later in life. My ex-gf's basset hound used to howl in pain for hours because she had bone spurs on her spine. Great Danes die of heart failure due to their huge size by the time they're 6 or 7 years old. Extreme-faced persian cats are prone to breathing problems.

At least you can gave the fish a good home!

I don't mind at all that they are a cross breed. I will give them a good home. I don't want them to die or live a miserable life. Plus they were $20.00 a piece. I have done a little more research and I don't think it was bad I bought them. I just got all worked up over what I was reading on some sites I found. Do you think they will be okay if I keep the coral in there for another week or two until I can get some more gravel?

First Of All Regent Filters are plastic peices of junk!

Get a Penguin Mini w/Biowheel soon. They are so much better filters.

I have owned both types.

Parrot cichlids arent so bad infact i like them quite a lot. Give them a chance.

Dan :)

Back
Top Bottom