Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What have I done!!!!

My betta was doing so good. Now his fins look like this. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	314400 he was in a 20G with that red tail loach. Iím kinda in a panic wondering if they had an altercation or if he has fin rot. They have been separated due to general rearranging of tanks. This how he looked the other day. Honestly this is how he looked when I first bought him. If it is fin rot any recommendations on medications appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	314401.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

He is in the hospital tank. I dosed some aquarium salt @ 2tsp per gallon. From what I have seen online he is pretty far gone but I will do my best to heal him and get him back to full fins

Old 11-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Normally with fin rot you will see white patches on the fins. It looks like he got in a fight. I would just keep him in a separate tank with pristine water. I'm not a huge fan of using aquarium salt with bettas.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Change 50% of his water every two days. If he doesn't get better after a week then think about meds. You can keep up the aquarium salt. It won't hurt him.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

Today he is scheduled for a complete water change. I believe the initial salt bath will help keep bacteria away and I plan on doing half the dose of salt. I just felt so bad for the guy.

Even though I bought him a leaf to rest on he usually slept/rested on the gravel. Is there something I do to help him rest better?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium salt is commonly used to treat fin damage. You can give him the 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water or 1 Teaspoon per gallon.

My betta always sleeps on the bottom of his tank. Whatever is comfortable for your guy. Did you remove him from any other fish now?
Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

He is in a three gallon hospital tank. It is heated and I have an air stone in it. I did turn off the filter but will more than likely let it run seems how I am only using salt.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good. Biggest thing he needs is pristine water to avoid infection. Let us know how he does.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #9

Day three of hospitalization. He is swimming fine and is actively eating both pellets and dried bloodworms. It wonít happen over night but I believe he will make it.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #10
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Sounds good. Biggest thing he needs is pristine water to avoid infection. Let us know how he does.
Agreed. Clean fresh water is the best treatment for a betta, and the salt will help.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #11
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post
Day three of hospitalization. He is swimming fine and is actively eating both pellets and dried bloodworms. It wonít happen over night but I believe he will make it.
If he's eagerly eating and swimming, he's in good shape.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glad to hear your scale baby is doing better! A comment on the leaf is all I have-- our betta loves his floating log and hates his leaf. I'm pretty new to this, but the one thing we've been able to do is heal this rescue betta up from a starved, freezing betta whose fins were basically disappearing to a happy bugger who will nip a pellet off my finger.

I looked into bettas a bit when we first got them, and they're shallow-water fish. So even though they like to be at the surface, they like the bottom too, and hiding spots. I wonder if mine dislikes his leaf because it's so exposed. If your tank is naturally planted, maybe try putting the leaf so it shelters him a bit more? Or check out the betta log, https://www.amazon.ca/Zoo-Med-Floati.../dp/B0027ITKBS. They're not really expensive and I think the fact they can get in there and hide a bit is nice.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Eating is winning half the battle. He should heal up quickly.
Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM   #14

He was fed a hearty meal of frozen baby brine shrimp and two dried bloodworms. He will be getting a 50% water change later today. Water is warming up and dechlorinating.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com