What have I got here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last month I go to Big Al's, and get a few Kribs. I get home, fish go in tank, and...wait a sec...what the hell is that?

Apparently I wasn't paying close attention to what was being put in the bag, and this guy got mixed in.

Trouble is, I like him, and need to know more about him now so as to make his living environment as hospitable as possible.

Stuff like...what kind of fish is this. I think from there on I can research on my own...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Looks like a GBR to me, but as i just started with the SA Cichlids i will let others chime in here.

If it is a GBR then they are very touchy to their enviroment and water quality.

-Pleco

huh...yah, never thought of that...I haven't raised any before, and I just kinda figured they were...bigger. This guy's about 1 inch, after at least a month now...

That is indeed a German Blue Ram, a South American Cichlid. If you have had him for a month, then apparantly your water quality is good enough..they are finicky, and many people loose GBRs withing two weeks..I lost all three of my new ones withing 3 days :/ even though I had a few more in the same tank.

They grow to amax size of 3 inches, and can be housed in a 10 gallon tank, 3 of them actually, 1 male, 2 females. The females have a pinkish colored belly. They breed easily enough, and are beautiful fish.

They will eat snails and flake food, plus bloodworms, brine shrimp, and most other readily avaiable items.

they are very good community fish, and rarely bother anything else unless preparing and maintaining a nest for eggs.

He should reach 1.5 inches prety quick, but will slow down after that.

Jarred Darque said:
They grow to amax size of 3 inches, and can be housed in a 10 gallon tank, 3 of them actually, 1 male, 2 females.

alot of people like to keep them in 20 gal tanks, although they do fit into the inch gallon stereotype, they reall should have a larger tank. i believe its LWB who breeds them, and says to keep them in 20 gal.

i dont think you need 2 females per male either, as they mate for life. the the male will eventually pair off with a female, and they other will be left out.

alot of fish, mainly livebearers, you need more female per male though

congrats on the mixup, taht is a nice looking male GBR you have there. I have two myself, and they quickly became one of my favorite fish. (though I started with six. I only have two left)

I have a pair of GBR's in a 10 gallon tank and the just spawned last night. I think a ten gallon is fine for just the pair and maybe a bottom feeder or two. I would recommend at least a 20 gallon tank that is well planted and has some hiding places for them. Keep the water slightly acidic or neutral and soft water is preferred. I would only put one female GBR in with him because if he does decide to pair up, the couple may harass any other females in the tank to the point of her death. Also, just because you put a female GBR in there with him does not mean that they will pair up. Good luck. Oh yeah one more thing: they are fairly easy to get to spawn but trying to raise the fry to maturity is another thing. This has proven to be more difficult than getting them to spawn.

Back
Top Bottom