What have you seen in the pet shop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're not up for it, I could help along here. Being a first responder and medical care provider, I've seen what happens outside of the hobby, such as incurable disease, bleed over into this hobby. And it's all our fault. Diseases exist for multiple reasons. The ONLY reason they are moving to the incurable side is lack of commitment on the human part. There are well formulated reasons that a med is required for a specific timeframe. When someone decides "Oh fish look great !!!! Guess I don't need to finish this", is where the "super" diseases are becoming a breeding ground. At a shortened med dosing, the virus builds up immunities to counter being killed off. I know a few folks here do t need to be told this, but there's quite a few that have no clue. And I generally find that with those that boast about how perfect their LFS is and the LFS would never do them or their tank any harm. But the same LFS also recommends male Betta's with male guppies.

+1 all the way, HN1. I have my own preconceived picture set in my head of what some of the looks might be when I post about a QT/HT and the absolute (IMO) necessity they serve. The caveat to having just an empty 10g and a small sponge in a DT, is it's basically instantly available. Research, preparation, and follow through are the simple keys to success. Enjoyment is the benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Do you mean you've seen people catch these fish diseases or you mean the same sort of thing happen in humans? I think you mean the latter but just curious since I just woke up.

I think teddy tanks is almost a gallon, but it's still horrible!! :(

A lot of people seem to use it for candy and storage and not fish, so that's good, but probably way too many fish are in those things :(.

Wow, That's crazy! Well I guess he got what was coming. You shouldn't go in the shop ready to buy before you've done your research.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you mean you've seen people catch these fish diseases or you mean the same sort of thing happen in humans? I think you mean the latter but just curious since I just woke up.

What I'm referring to is the inability to follow directions in regards to meds. Therefore you wind up with what was once a curable disease, has now become something that isn't. The real problem is it's only going to get worse. The more often people stop treatment too soon, the easier it becomes for the disease to become resistant to meds.

Wow, too many posts to quote!!!! lol
I understand fully about meds. I was in route to becoming a veterinarian when I was sidetracked into the pet biz. ;) So I have a good handle on meds ( and why I was the "go to guy" in the shops I worked in when it came to treating fish diseases. ) I also have experience as a first responder as my best friend's Dad was the chief of the volunteer fire squad in our town which meant we went along on a number of calls. ( I've seen more than a 9 or 10 year old should ever see :( ) But I digress......
Unfortunately, I experienced dealing with my customer's "superbugs" back in the 70s and 80s and often times I just had them bleach out their tanks because it would be cheaper for the customer in the long run. The damage was done and so time to move on. That's a lesson no one forgets and hopefully, I made better aquarists out of them. (y)

Teddy tanks...... Puhleaze!!!! What will they think of next to abuse living animals?

As for this comment: the reasons are all pretty simple. A lot of stuff can "work" short term. The business needs to profit by definition and mass-wholesaled aquarium fish are a high loss product. The sooner they sell, the better for the business. Then the new owner inherits any issues and will tend to purchase dry goods to solve "problems".
This may be what is happening today but it was not how it's always been. In fact, I learned a lot of my medical knowledge in the wholesale fish business that I carried to the retail stores I've worked in. I kept a good steady customer base because I sold a quality fish that didn;t have post shipping or post delivery problems. That's because the fish were treated correctly when I got them. I've sent people as well as some of the importers I've worked for, to other parts of the world to show the fish shippers how to correctly pack the fish so there would be minimal losses during shipping and post arrival. So yes, if you wanted a quality fish, you had to pay more for it but, if you think about how many cheap fish you replace before having one good one survive, the final cost is probably higher to buy cheap fish from mass market places. ( i.e. Big Box stores.)
And I do agree with finding a good LFS and support them!!!! It's the Mom & Pop shops that made this hobby what it was... a GREAT hobby!!!

Lastly, for now ;) The reason the pharmaceutical company went out ( from what I understand) was not from regulations against them but because of the regulations on the medicines. Apparently, there was too much human usage of these meds which is why you don;t find many meds in pill form anymore, just powders. Once again, mankind screwed up a good thing :s

Hope this catches things up ;) (y)

What I'm referring to is the inability to follow directions in regards to meds. Therefore you wind up with what was once a curable disease, has now become something that isn't. The real problem is it's only going to get worse. The more often people stop treatment too soon, the easier it becomes for the disease to become resistant to meds.

Gotcha. That is so so true. And don't get me started on antibacterial soap and such.

Back
Top Bottom