What Heater do you recommend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bballsosh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 54 gallon corner tank and want to keep it at about 84 degrees for my 2 baby discus. Right now its at 82. What heater would you recommend and where can i get it?

Won Titanium Pro II. It's a very accurate and reliable heater. I keep them on all my discus tanks.

I will second the Won Bros Pro II titanium, Visitherm Stealth, and the Ebo/Eheim Jager heaters...all excellent choices in my books. At least one of the three should be readily available in your LFSes, or order them online at bigals.com (usually the best online prices).

Lonewolfblue said:
And if you are running a canister filter, the Hydor ETH 300 Inline Heater.

I will second this one, too....Hydor are not cheap, but very good, and an inline eliminates the presence of a heater in the tank and ensures excellent heat distribution.

I took your advice and just bought the visi-therm stealth. I set it to 83 degress and plugged it in. How do i get it to start producing heat? When i touch it i dont feel any heat

Mistake #1, don't trust the readings on the knob. Is it keeping the temp constant, or is it dropping? If it drops, keep increasing the temp knob til you see it start to increase in temp, since the dropping will place you below your goal temp. Will take a while to get it dialed in, but you should have no problem.

I also agree inline heaters such as the Hydor ETH 200 or 300 are the best choice for aquarium heating. Spliced into the return line of a cannister, nothing heats a tank more uniformly and accurately(within .4 degrees). After purchasing one, I wouldn't go back to any other type.

Is there some button i should push to trun it on or is it automatically on when plugged in? I dont know why its not working

I have an ETH 201 (5/8" fittings) on my XP2 on my 29G, and an ETH 300 on my XP3 on my 75G, and all stay within 1 degree or less. Best heaters I've ever used. Also, I've accidently ran it dry, and thought I damaged it. Then when I checked the info on the ETH heaters, they can be run short periods dry without damaging them. But when the steam rolled out of my spraybar, ir freaked me out. But no damage done. Still works perfect, like new.

bballsosh said:
Is there some button i should push to trun it on or is it automatically on when plugged in? I dont know why its not working
No buttons. It will turn on automatically when the temp goes below where it's set. And if I'm correct, there is no way to tell if it's on or off, as there's no light on it.

do they feel hot when they are heating up the tank because my tanks temp has increased ever since i put the heater in but i dont feel any heat on the heater

If the water is heating, then it's working. Just keep an eye on it, and keep tweaking it until it's where you want it.

Back
Top Bottom