What in the HECK is This?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I'm performing my regular Sunday WC and as I'm about to drag my big bucket of nasty water outside I see these slug type things in the bottom of the bucket. They appear to be dead. Are these things leaches?? If so how the heck do I get rid of them?!

image-3980258100.jpg

they kinda look like leaches *shudders*. a definite ID will help with getting rid of them. try spearing them with a skewer or something,or maybe doing a bottle trap (take a bottle,put bait in the bottom,leave it in overnight)

I've never seen them before. And they are dead. They have white under bellies just like a slug. Ive never seen them before. I have a heavily planted tank as well. What kind of bait do i need?

Okay I figured out what it is. So the bucket I use for a WC I keep outside in a storage shed type thing. It's been raining all last night and today. I look outside and there were slugs all around of the same size. So I'm pretty sure they were dead slugs that got into the container and I just didn't see it. I'm going to keep and eye on things and see if this happens again just incase.

I HOPE for your sake they are just some slugs that were in the bucket! They do look like leeches to me but the slugs outside typically have white bellies. Pull out your filter media & inspect it closely with a flashlight to see if you see anything wiggling around or any brown 'spots' that look like little football-shaped egg cases stuck everywhere just to be sure.

I checked my media and housing and I just had pond snails in there

Yeah this definitely freaked me out! I also saw some super tiny worms swimming in my tank after I filled it back up. They were about 1/2 inch and were clear and thinner than 5lb test fishing line. It also swam like a snake. Any know what this could be?

if they are leaches,use some sort of meat for bait. preferably bloody

If in fact they are leeches (and it sounds to me like they are most likely snails), the vast majority of leech species are not blood suckers, so using bloody meat or meat period will most likely not do you any good.

If in fact they are leeches (and it sounds to me like they are most likely snails), the vast majority of leech species are not blood suckers, so using bloody meat or meat period will most likely not do you any good.
i would still get rid of them. but thats just terrified of leeches me

Back
Top Bottom