? What is a good saltwater looking freshwater fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 50 gallon freshwater fish tank. its ocean themed. What are some good saltwater looking fish to help make it more convincing future thanks

,Mine Shaker

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

I recommend: triggers, puffers, mandarine fish, and wrasse. They are all super beautiful fish with some personality.

Those are saltwater fish. The op is looking for freshwater fish.

I think you'll have a difficult time finding the the brilliant colors that saltwater fish have in a freshwater fish. Can't think of any, but there are lots of gorgeous freshwater fish out there.

Why not go to the salty side??:D

If you want it ocean themed why not consider converting over , there are not many freshwater fish that even look like a saltwater fish , jump up into the saltwater section under getting started Inquire about what is needed to convert over . it"s really not as hard as one may think if you have the know how to care for a freshwater system you won half the battle

Really if you are enjoying the look of salt water fish, then you won't find much in the freshwater category to compare with them. Doing a saltwater tank is not all that difficult, and there is plenty of help available on this forum. Check the saltwater board.

Rainbow fish, sword tails, reticulated hill stream loach, elephant nose, discus, cichlids, freshwater eels. Figure 8 puffer. These are all fish I think would look good in a saltwater themed tank. Some are brackish, and some may not be compatible I have no experience with them so check compatibility before buying any of these. Pretty much anything with nice color or odd fish you don't normally see in a pet store seems like it would be a good fit

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cichlids no doubt, electric yellows have the yellow color pop of tangs, peacocks are very vibrant, there are also freshwater "sharks", I have a large rainbow shark who fits the bill.

Cichlids no doubt, electric yellows have the yellow color pop of tangs, peacocks are very vibrant, there are also freshwater "sharks", I have a large rainbow shark who fits the bill.

There ya go! And you'd be surprised at how many you could keep in a 50g tank.

Thank you all for the responses i really appreciate it

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

The only group of fish that really compare to marines in color are the African Cichlids. In shapes, there's not much that are very similar but with some imagination, :brows: freshwater Angelfish can look like adult Pomacanthus Angelfish ( Saltwater). There are a group of brackish water fish that can go ( ie Scats, Monos, bumblebee gobies, puffers etc) as well. But since the fish in question live in very different environments, it's hard to find similarities between the two.
Hope this helps (y)

Your like me I have a cold water Goldie tank with a fake coral tropical theme. I want some variatus platys to add colour. I can't help with the fish suggestions though sorry.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

African Cichlids have bright colors when they mature. Similar colors to salt water fish in some cases. They are aggressive and prefer harder water. There are also freshwater puffers. Some are Brackish and some do fine in fresh water. They also need the length of there teeth managed by feeding food in shells or by trimming under anesthesia in some cases. Do you homework with both these species first or you will regret it later.

Mbuna cichlids they look and act very much like saltwater damsels. Peacock ciclids are very brightly colored like SW. Or if you don't mind having a single we pet, Salvini, Green Terror, Carpintis. Or you could do electric blue jack Dempsey or electric blue acara with some gold or cherry barbs.

Back
Top Bottom