What is a Python?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have only had fish for four months. I currently have one five and a half gallon and a 29 gallon. It never occurred to me that I have to vacuum the gravel bed, but I just read that you do. How is this done? I read somewhere that you can do your water changes with a Python. Is this a siphon? I just scoop out a few gallons of water, pour it into a bucket, and dump the bucket down the toilet. Is there a better way to do this? Basically, what is a python? I have a feeling that this is a really stupid question, so please don't laugh.

Edited: I meant to post this in getting started. I don't know how to delete or move a post. Sorry.

A python is the same thing as a waterbed drain and fill kit except the end is a gravel vac instead of an adapter for the waterbed. It's the single greatest peice of tank maintainance equipment you can buy.

No doubt...

Buy one, follow directions, enjoy. I let my neighbor borrow mine the other day. He could not believe how nice it was to change water and vaccum gravel with virtually zero mess.

My advice, buy online, I got "hosed" from PETCO.

Yes, buy online if you really want one; you'll save a lot of money. You can always just buy a regular gravel vac, but the Python is a lot less work. It hooks up to your sink, and has a valve that you open or close to either syphon the water out of your tank, or (when closed) fill the tank. Then you just match the temp to your tank water, and add dechlorinator to dose your whole tank, and you're done. It's much easier than using buckets, especially if you have 5 tanks as I do- LOL. It's awesome!

BTW, this is not a stupid question at all. I didn't really know how a Python worked either until I bought one and tried it.

The Python is the greatest creation since sliced bread. Many things have made this claim but this one truely is the best. Its that awesome!

what codefox said.

it works as a syphon (i just syphon out through the window) and when i add water, just hook it up to the kitchen sink, add dechlor as you fill.

i have a 55 gallon tank, dont think i would have made it with out my python. my advice, print out an online ad from petsmart, petco,... whatever and take it to petsmart and they'll price match it (even their own site's ad) my did charge me online price + shipping, but still saved me $15

Some don't like using the sink to take the water out of the tank, but that's how I do it. You just hook the Python to the faucet, and when the pump is in the open position, it pumps water out of the tank while the faucet is running. Then when you removed what you want, then close the pump and it will redirect the water back into the tank from the faucet. Then, while the tank is filling, you just add dechlor to the tank. It's just that simple. :)

Back
Top Bottom