What is an avacado puffer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
I saw one at the LFS the other day and don't intend on keeping one...but it seems my cousin wants to she thinks its really cute. Not trying to keep it but just curious, what is an avacado puffer and how does it do with other fishes and ten gallon tanks?

The Avacodo Puffer, also known as the "Golden Puffer" or "Bronze/Golden Puffer" is an aggressive (like other puffers) FW Puffer.

Since it is a aggressive fin nipper, there are not many tankmates that can go with it. I've heard that Dwarf puffers and Zebra danios are able to co-exist with them.

I don't believe 10 gallon tank will be able to hold this fish. It gets around 4-5 inches and, I'm assuming, needs at least a 30 gallon tank.

I saw one too today. They are suppose to be active puffers, but I didn't see that behavior today when I saw one. IF I bought this puffer and it still isn't active, then I would do 20gal. But if starts being really active after purchase, then I would do 25+. These puffers are loners and will rarely accept tankmates if cared for properly.

Back
Top Bottom