What is an uncommon fish that people rarely breed that would go well in a 55gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aphone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I'm trying to look to the future. Have a 10 gallon community now so I'm learning from that. But there is a place where I can put a 55gallon which I plan to place. I want something that not many people have that I can breed, so it will only be one type of fish. I was originally thinking about discus, but if there is anything else, I would like to know. thanks

A rare type of pleco? Discus probably shouldn't be kept in a 55 that seems a little small for them IMO

Rare plecos sound like a good plan, or maybe a rare type of Cory. You could think about ordering a really nice strain of livebearers like guppies or Enders, too. I'm assuming you want to make a little cash from selling babies, right? You can't make money selling run of the mill fancy guppies but you can make pretty good money for nice pure strains, if you are willing to ship at least. I've seen auctions for just a few pairs of nice guppy strains go to $60-80+ on aquabid, for just a handful of fish. It's an idea. You will need a couple extra tanks to control the breeding, though. You don't want to mess up the strain by letting the ones that don't fit the traits you want to keep breed with the ones you do want.

A Cory tank sounds pretty cool. We're currently building one for our basement. Also about the plecos, you should read amazonas magazine. They have an article about breeding these really cool looking plecos.

Something not many people keep together, but looks so amazing, the fish are kinda popular, but the combination of these fish are surely ultra rare,very fun fish
Black ghost knife
African brown knife
Dojo loaches
Peacock eel
Dragon bichirs
Black kuhli loaches
Awesome combination!

Well no, I've had these fish, 2 of each, one of my kuhli loaches died in two years, have had these fish for three years, in a 50 gallon and not 2 kuhli loaches, 10

pleco's spend most of their time on the glass, yes?

Rare plecos sound like a good plan, or maybe a rare type of Cory. You could think about ordering a really nice strain of livebearers like guppies or Enders, too. I'm assuming you want to make a little cash from selling babies, right? You can't make money selling run of the mill fancy guppies but you can make pretty good money for nice pure strains, if you are willing to ship at least. I've seen auctions for just a few pairs of nice guppy strains go to $60-80+ on aquabid, for just a handful of fish. It's an idea. You will need a couple extra tanks to control the breeding, though. You don't want to mess up the strain by letting the ones that don't fit the traits you want to keep breed with the ones you do want.

guppies are small I'm guessing, but a 1 bigger tank would be better than 2 smaller thanks or the other way around? (for guppies)

pleco's spend most of their time on the glass, yes?

Not really. Mine much prefer hanging out on the driftwood and rocks in my tank, or even playing in the sand bed. Remember, many species need driftwood to survive. They eat it.

Well no, I've had these fish, 2 of each, one of my kuhli loaches died in two years, have had these fish for three years, in a 50 gallon and not 2 kuhli loaches, 10

I have to disagree. Fish that reach over a foot long belong in a tank that's longer than 4 foot long IMHO. Anyway that's beside the point. The OP is asking for fish to breed in a 55g tank. A pair if Birchirs or a pair of BGK in a 55 is too much.

Ok everyone has different opinions, just saying great fish had them for three years, good luck in finding your fish!:)

still open for more suggestions

is live aqauria reliable? (the info on the fish)

maybe I'll choose based on what they say. In live aquaria, when the recommended gallon for a fish is 50. Does it mean that only 1 of that fish can be in that tank. If not, how many?

Discus might have to wait due to funds being low.

I'm looking at African chilid. Which ones would be the best breeders for a 55 gallon?

Ok everyone has different opinions, just saying great fish had them for three years, good luck in finding your fish!:)

Sorry but while everyone has different opinions, yours on this matter is wrong. 55G is too small for a BGK and most birchirs.

Sorry but while everyone has different opinions, yours on this matter is wrong. 55G is too small for a BGK and most birchirs.

I agree, but probably would've said it nicer... Sure these fish can live for years. But they'll be unhappy and may end up stunted

Back
Top Bottom