What is Brackish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brackish is water that is a mix of fresh and salt water, such as occurs at the mouths of rivers emptying into the ocean. It can be almost fresh to almost full salt. In general brackish area of the world have a constantly changing amount of salt in any given area, depending on tides and up river rain falls.

So why do people want to do that, as opposed to going all saltwater or fresh water? Is there certain types of fish for a brackish tank?

Copachick said:
So why do people want to do that, as opposed to going all saltwater or fresh water? Is there certain types of fish for a brackish tank?

Ya, such as mudskippers, dwarf puffers, and some fish only breed in brackish water...there are also some invertebrates that live there... :)

Ya, such as mudskippers, dwarf puffers, and some fish only breed in brackish water...there are also some invertebrates that live there... :)

For the record, the Dwarf Puffer, Carinotetraodon travancoricus, is a freshwater only fish that comes from streams in India. Brackish water will drastically reduce a dwarf puffers lifespan and quality of life and should only be used as a temperary medical treatment. Most fish sold as "freshwater" puffers are indeed brackish water fish, but not the Dwarf Puffer.

Most fish sold as "freshwater" puffers are indeed brackish water fish.

Actually I'm not sure how true that last statement is. It's my opinion based off anecdotal evidence collected while I was researching my dwarf puffer tank.

I've read of a few people buying figure eight puffers and green spotted puffers as "freshwater" fish, and those two species prefer brackish water

Back
Top Bottom