What is cycling?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddybrat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Before this website nobody has ever told me about cycling.. I don't know what it is? Please explain simply if possible. But still give enough info so that I fully understand what I need to do.
Thanks,
Maddy :fish1:

See the link below for more details, but in short it's producing / establishing the necessary bacteria in your tank / filter that convert toxic ammonia produced by fish waste and food decomposition into nitrite (still toxic) and finally to nitrate. While still toxic to fish ... nitrate requires higher levels and plants can use it as a nutrient. The most effective way to lower nitrates is by PWC's, there's no bacteria that converts it any further.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Hope this helps.

I'm pretty sure the API master test kit (endorsed by most AA users) is about 30$ and yes it's available at PETCO and yes you can use it many times. If it's not at petco check petsmart and your local fish store (LFS)

I'm pretty sure the API master test kit (endorsed by most AA users) is about 30$ and yes it's available at PETCO and yes you can use it many times. If it's not at petco check petsmart and your local fish store (LFS)

It's the best investment you can make(y) AA recommends it and you can buy it at certain LFS's, Petco, Petsmart, not sure about walmart ...:whistle:

Popular question this week...

Maddy,

Cycling the tank is the process that grows the healthy bacteria in your aquarium (in the filter sponge and media, the substrate, on the decorations), that turns the ammonia (from fish poo, pee and excess food) to nitrItes and further breaks it down to nitrAtes. NitrAtes however, are also harmful to fish, so when you do water changes you are diluting the nitrAte concentration to safe levels for the fish, <40 ppm and <20 ppm is ideal.

The price of the kit can range, (in my city at least), between $20.00 - $40.00 USD. It can be used many many times and is more accurate than test strips; an all around good investment.

there are two ways to cycle a tank. one way is fishless and the other is using fish. I have never done a fishless cycle so ill slightly explain how to use fish to cycle a tank.
cycling using fish(dont use goldfish to cycle unless thats whats going in the tank)
-depending one what type of fish you plan on getting(community, semi aggressive, aggressive) there are different fish you want to use.
-you want to use a very hardy fish that can handle bad conditions in a tank and you want a fish that isnt expensive because they may die on you
- you will have your tank fully set up and you will put the fish in
-while the the good bacteria are establishing themselves in the tank you will need to do partial water changes because the bacteria wont be able to handle all the ammonia and nitrites due to the fact that there isnt enough bacteria.
-once the bacteria have been established you are ready for the fish you want to put in the tank.

there is a little more to it i hope others can fill in the gaps like a cloudy tank due to excess bacteria and whatever
dont let this scare you off from getting fish
it would really help if you know someone with an established tank, if you do this will help and let us know

we should all come together and make a detailed list and correct each other and make it an updated sticky on the exact steps on how to cycle a tank in one or two posts so someone doesnt have to read through 40 posts

Besides the above mentioned thread this one, which is not mine, is very good and is based on fishless cycling which is widely recommended. If you already have fish and aré having trouble with them or your water parameters you should seriously consider rehoming them until you can house them appropiately.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
(sorry not a link,but search that thread)

The nitrogen cycle is one of the keys to life on this planet, the piece of it that we encourage in our fish tanks helps keep the fish healthy and happy. In the grander sense it keeps all of us alive.

andresdeo said:
Besides the above mentioned thread this one, which is not mine, is very good and is based on fishless cycling which is widely recommended. If you already have fish and aré having trouble with them or your water parameters you should seriously consider rehoming them until you can house them appropiately.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
(sorry not a link,but search that thread)

Thanks for the mention andresdeo. The link to the article is in my signature.

It seems that out of all of the things that pet stores DON'T tell you, cycling is the biggest! Lots of people lose lots of fish because of this, which is really a shame since with a little education you don't have to lose your fish! I've quizzed pet store people about it, just to see what they say. Usually they'll point to something like "Cycle" and tell you that it instantly cycles your tank! "Buy Cycle, buy fish, add cycle, add fish, you're done!" :whistle:

Just keep reading, learning and asking Maddy. It really does sound complicated, but once you get into it, it makes perfect sense and its not as difficult as it sounds.

I wanted ammonia today and since two hardware stores didn't carry it, I tried my lfs in hopes of them carrying it. No such luck.

I said cycle and she said "Here try this, it's great stuff!" A 16 oz bottle of live bacteria, that will launch the cycle in more than 250 gallons, for $10.99

Now, price notwithstanding; it's been sitting on your shelf in the dark, without air or light for how long? :banghead: Live my .... eh hem. Yeah.

I tracked down my (not so local!) Ace... A cycling we will go... :whistle:

Really, there should be a law.

Back
Top Bottom