What is "good" Fish Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I often hear people talking about spending extra money to get the "good" fish food, because it's better for the fish.

What are the best brands or type of fish food?

Anything to avoid?

I feed New Life Spectrum exclusively to every fish in the house, there is not a single brand of anything else. For as many blue top jars everywhere you'd think I have stock.

I feed both NLS and Omega One brands. Both are superior in the quality of ingredients.

it's sold in a lot of major pet stores, I know petland has it, I *heard* petco has it now, but we don't have one local to here. I order it online by the bucket usually. The price in the pet store is ridiculous.

It's a great pellet, I still feed flakes and sticks though, depending. NLS has an awesome ingredient list, but NLS isn't the only one that uses high quality ingredients.

Right Now I feed tetramin crisps, frozen brine, bloodworms and veggie alternating. Just set up a brine shrimp hatchery and grow out tank also.

HUKIT said:
I feed New Life Spectrum exclusively to every fish in the house, there is not a single brand of anything else. For as many blue top jars everywhere you'd think I have stock.

+1 NLS is the way to go.

I think the reason i use Xtreme is because it contains much less wheat flour than the other brands...such as NLS. on the xTREME website there is a great link that lets you compare a lot of brands

Hikari seems to be the best for algae wafers, but flake food is sometimes not as crucial to brand. I have a local supplier for flake food at near half the price of 'Tetramin' with exactly the same list & % of ingredient.

I use NLS exclusively for all my fish. Mbunas, Angels, Plecos and even my 2 week old fry.
My Mom asked what I feed the fry because they are so tiny. When they first showed up I couldn't get NLS fry powder anywhere in town. The only fry available was first bites by Hikari, so I got what I could until I could get what I wanted.
3 days later I was able to get the NLS fry powder. So when my Mom asked about their food I read the ingredient of both to her and I was stunned to find out just how big a difference there is between the two foods. The NLS is packed with protein, veggies, fruits, algae, you name it it has it. The other had a few ingredients and then a lot of words I couldn't pronounce.
IMO you should check the ingredients in what your feeding now against any of the NLS foods. You wont want to feed your fish anything else.
My fish have never been healthier or happier. They eat the NLS like Piranha eat fresh meat

The site doesn't... some of the members do ;)

NLS is great food, but it is NOT the only food that should be regarded as high quality. There are many many others that are just as good, if not better.

The site doesn't... some of the members do ;)

NLS is great food, but it is NOT the only food that should be regarded as high quality. There are many many others that are just as good, if not better.

Agreed. I use NLS regularly but it's not the be-all end-all by any means. With a well rounded food, the fish don't need anything else to supplement their diet, but NLS isn't the only food that can do that. I also like feeding fresh veg/fruit and live foods as well, I'm not sure how anyone could argue against fresh.

Speaking of live and fresh.. once I get my brine hatchery and grow out tank going. Is it more beneficial to feed brine shrimp more often then flake or pellets? Or still only feed it twice a week?

Back
Top Bottom