What is growing in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eel lover50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I've had my 20 gallon tank since February of this year and just recently noticed a yellow greenish slime growing on my tank. What is it?

Looks like your having a late diatom bloom. Diatoms are self limiting and will eventually go away on their own once excess silicates in the water are used up. Try only running your lights 6 hours daily to help keep a ton of them from growing and maybe think about adding a couple nerite snails as a clean up crew.

Do plecos eat diatoms? I was thinking about adding a pleco to my 20 gallon tank which currently has 1 Cory catfish, 1 other catfish, 5 giant danios, 1 green killifish, and 1 turquoise rainbow.

Diatoms are also called brown algae. Pleco's sometimes eat it. It really depends on the individual pleco. I find nerite snails to be the best at keeping diatoms clean, followed by Oto cats. If your worried about the snails reproducing nerites can't reproduce in freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom