What is proper way of cleaning internal filter with sponge ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monster Goldfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone

Cleaning filters is very obvious and needs no explanations, but when it comes to internal filters it's 2 in 1 filter because it has only one cartidge and one sponge for both mechanical and biologiocal filteration . That means cleaning it
more often might kill the benfecial bacteria and not cleaning it often might toxin the aquarium with food remains and fish waste that's collected on the sponge ! .

So , Is there any one with experience about internal filters ( see the pic ) ? how are they cleaned ? and how often ?

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• Aquarium-Internal-Filter-ML-1800IF-.jpg
    Aquarium-Internal-Filter-ML-1800IF-.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 161
The ones I've has I've just rinsed the cartridges regularly in tank water. I keep a close eye on the flow because I've found they loose flow more quickly than hob or canisters. If I see any reduction in flow I swish the cartridge.

If you can replace the cartridge with sponge or filter floss I would cause there are issues with how often you need to change carbon. The filter might not say you can but Ive found that if you cut a sponge in the shape of the cartridge it generally will fit. I've also cut cartridges and removed the carbon.

When replacing cartridges I generally keep a new one in the tank for a week or so before putting it in the filter.

This is a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps.

The ones I've has I've just rinsed the cartridges regularly in tank water. I keep a close eye on the flow because I've found they loose flow more quickly than hob or canisters. If I see any reduction in flow I swish the cartridge.

If you can replace the cartridge with sponge or filter floss I would cause there are issues with how often you need to change carbon. The filter might not say you can but Ive found that if you cut a sponge in the shape of the cartridge it generally will fit. I've also cut cartridges and removed the carbon.

When replacing cartridges I generally keep a new one in the tank for a week or so before putting it in the filter.

This is a bit of a ramble but I hope it helps.

Thanks for the information , but I think you're talking about a different type
of internal filters . Mine has only on cartridge with one sponge in it . i've added a picture of my filter type please check it out. :)

Your right I was thinking of a different type of internal. I had one like that where the top of the cartridge is removable to allow access to the sponges. I'd that the case for that one?

Your right I was thinking of a different type of internal. I had one like that where the top of the cartridge is removable to allow access to the sponges. I'd that the case for that one?

what I mean by making this thread is the following :

how to clean the sponge while maintaining benficial bacteria ? because
the sponge is both mechanical and biological media.

Just rince it out in used aquarium water or treated tap water. BB is really sticky so you won't loose that much and alot lives on your gravel, the surface of your filter decor ect.

If it gets to the point you need to change it completely, cut the new sponge in half and do the same with the old - put half the new sponge in with the old one, leave for a few weeks then put the other new half in. Don't replace the whole sponge at once.

If it gets to the point you need to change it completely, cut the new sponge in half and do the same with the old - put half the new sponge in with the old one, leave for a few weeks then put the other new half in. Don't replace the whole sponge at once.

That's a great idea. I'm thinking of doing it for the current sponge to be able
to clean one half everyweek :)

That's a great idea. I'm thinking of doing it for the current sponge to be able
to clean one half everyweek :)

Shouldnt have to, sponge filters very rarely need cleaned and even more rarely need replaced. If you notice the flow of the filter is dropping down give it a clean in your tank water you remove, do not clean under the tap - and just give it a light shake or squeeze, you don't want to over do it. But still as you can not condition your water yet I'm not sure this even applies to you as I don't think you will have any good bacteria to loose.

Back
Top Bottom