What is that thing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm sure that's what the fish were thinking when I put the algae scraper in the tank. Been 3-4 weeks since the otos were added. It's apparent they aren't going to clean the sides of the tank. I scraped half the front off, hoping they get the idea anyway. We'll see. Maybe if I get them tiny little scrapers they'd scrape off the algae?

Good thought!

I added two otos to my tank less than a week ago.
These little guys cant STOP eating the brown algae.
I've actually caught them munching on green algae, too!

Only problem now is the algae is pretty much all gone
and I picked up some hikari algae wafers and I cant
seem to get them to eat them. My danios dont mind
munching on them though...THEM LITTE PORKERS!!! :x

Anyone know how to get the otos to eat the wafers??!

-Dan

Try some fresh veggies. Nuke the stem of a broccoli for 30 seconds, let it cool and serve. Cut up zucchini or cucumber and try that.

Yeah I was planning on that actually.

I tried a piece of nuked romaine lettuce but it failed.
I let it sit in there for about 14 hours.
Im going to try the brocolli stem or cucumber tomorrow
It just kinda stinks because I was hoping they'd eat
the wafers, too. So i can mix their diet up a little.

Maybe they'll eventually learn that it's a supplement
to their depleting algae levels.

Thanks for the input
-Dan

I'mma guessing that the natural food source could be the culprit. If you had your favorite homemade food or packaged food, which would you eat? The problem I see is if they ever start eating the supplement and decide they like that better. I tried adding peas in the tank two days ago to stimulate my blue ram. No one has touched the peas and they're still floating. My otos seem to be happy cleaning plants for now.

heh, ok silly question time....speaking of the algae cleaners....i bought a floating magnet one the other day...pulling it out of the package, i noticed that one side of teh cleaner was a felt like material, and the other side was a velcro like material...SO....which side goes IN the tank and which stays OUTSIDE....i assumed that the felt like material stayed on the outside, and the velcro looking stuff goes inside, as it has a scrubbing like action....am i correct?

My otos didn' t eat algae wafers either the first few times I put them in. I have cory cats that LOVE them and after a while the otos seemed to get the idea. they and the corys would all be circling around the wafer knocking into each other trying to get at it.

agentgreen said:
heh, ok silly question time....speaking of the algae cleaners....i bought a floating magnet one the other day...pulling it out of the package, i noticed that one side of teh cleaner was a felt like material, and the other side was a velcro like material...SO....which side goes IN the tank and which stays OUTSIDE....i assumed that the felt like material stayed on the outside, and the velcro looking stuff goes inside, as it has a scrubbing like action....am i correct?

Makes sense to someone that doesn't own one. :D

agentgreen said:

ahhh yes..... felt outside,
and Im not sure about yours, but mine came with directions :wink:

algae wafer in IMO are yukky. it takes the fish awhile to get whats going on and in that time food is seriously wasted or you get in and net it out thats what i did. then i found this ocean nutrition freshwater seaweed selects, and started clipping it to the side like it was algae on the glass and boom those guys cant leave it alone. plus its easier to retrieve what isnt eaten

look at your local LFS or drsfostersmith.com
ian

Back
Top Bottom