What is the best change youve ever made to your tank!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Changing from fake to live plants was also mine.. but more recently, I changed the standard gravel to some Floramax (similar to eco-complete and flourite) substrate.. Also adding in the DIY CO2 and changing the bulbs for optimal 6500K light spectrum for growing plants.... All I can say is WOW... what a difference! Less algae, amazing plant growth, and just a newly found appreciation for my tank! Take the full plunge my friend.. you won't regret it!

I went from this...
img_2139472_0_4b92a0373dfefce86e17dbb2940a57a9.jpg

To this...(note: algae explosion)..
img_2139472_1_1f98069ebc8f9171dad561c4269ef3a7.jpg

And then to this after a little research and learning (in the span of a couple of years...LOL). It's definitely a rewarding hobby! :)
img_2139472_2_d88346de3bdaa7ae186093dee90a2ebf.jpg

img_2139472_3_0a1dd4fb0b39dd7e441ec4605fdb5279.jpg

Brian_Nano12g said:
Changing from fake to live plants was also mine.. but more recently, I changed the standard gravel to some Floramax (similar to eco-complete and flourite) substrate.. Also adding in the DIY CO2 and changing the bulbs for optimal 6500K light spectrum for growing plants.... All I can say is WOW... what a difference! Less algae, amazing plant growth, and just a newly found appreciation for my tank! Take the full plunge my friend.. you won't regret it!

I went from this...

To this...(note: algae explosion)..

And then to this after a little research and learning (in the span of a couple of years...LOL). It's definitely a rewarding hobby! :)

That is beautiful mate! How did you make the DIY co2 bottle yeast sugar water??? And I'm not yet serfisticated for the lighting and all, all I know is my tank has one plant pro long tube bulb and two tropical pro tubes and that's as much as I know lol.

Yup... Yeast and sugar. It'll take time to learn.. Just know that there's light at the end of the tunnel and that there's always something to learn. I've learned a lot in this forum by searching and asking questions (and by researching on google). Despite the evolution of my tank, i still feel like i have plenty to learn and I'm far from being an expert.

Best Tank Move Ever

By far, the best change I made to my planted tanks was using land plants in the tank water to keep the water chemistry stable. By emersing just the roots of certain land plants that will grow in water, I was able to reduce my water changes from 50 percent weekly to no more than 5 percent.

B

BBradbury said:
By far, the best change I made to my planted tanks was using land plants in the tank water to keep the water chemistry stable. By emersing just the roots of certain land plants that will grow in water, I was able to reduce my water changes from 50 percent weekly to no more than 5 percent.

B

Nice very nice and like the last post sounds too technical for me at the stage I'm at. But saying that my lfs sold be two plants which are land plants not true aquatic I brought them because they look cool but will that do the same thing???

Brian_Nano12g said:
Yup... Yeast and sugar. It'll take time to learn.. Just know that there's light at the end of the tunnel and that there's always something to learn. I've learned a lot in this forum by searching and asking questions (and by researching on google). Despite the evolution of my tank, i still feel like i have plenty to learn and I'm far from being an expert.

I've just looked I've got everything I need the bottle I'm going to use is a scrumpy jack cider glass bottle you know the brewing ones I thought that would be perfect I've just got to buy a rubber bung :) how quick will it start working and do I have to change the mixture inside??? My plants seem to be doing fine with the lighting for now I've moved my tank so I can't even pull my bulbs out to see what they are :(

Joey.. I would suggest starting a new thread with stats of your tank (dimensions, size, and filter), pictures, current lighting, and stocking (plants and fish).. Also what your budget is and what you'd like to do with your tank. The knowledgable members here can definitely guide you every step of the way. You can probably do what i did in years, in only a few months with good advice. There's also some beautiful planted tanks with low light plants that dont require co2.. Although co2 does do miracles in growing plants.

I'd put that thread in the planted tank section, that's if you're interested of course?

Brian_Nano12g said:
Joey.. I would suggest starting a new thread with stats of your tank (dimensions, size, and filter), pictures, current lighting, and stocking (plants and fish).. Also what your budget is and what you'd like to do with your tank. The knowledgable members here can definitely guide you every step of the way. You can probably do what i did in years, in only a few months with good advice. There's also some beautiful planted tanks with low light plants that dont require co2.. Although co2 does do miracles in growing plants.

I'd put that thread in the planted tank section, that's if you're interested of course?

I'm going to get the rubber bung tomorrow do it and see what happens if then I need more info I will because I've got a in lid filter and my tanks right in the corner bit annoying to lift lid to look at the bulbs and not only that if I put my stock list up for the knowledgeable members to see they would probably think I'm satan himself lol. Anyway thanks for your info I'm going to do the DIY co2 and see how I get on :)

Mine is still underway. Like you I'm slowly moving from fake to live plants.

I can't remember any significant changes. Back when we had our 72 gallon from 2003-2009, everything stayed the same since the minute we put or decor in. Of course we did add and change the fish around but we never EVER added more plants or take out any. It's actually quite funny to think about. All our plants were fake so they literally say there for 6 nearly 7 years. You can imagine how black all of them got lol

Land Plants in Freshwater Tanks

Nice very nice and like the last post sounds too technical for me at the stage I'm at. But saying that my lfs sold be two plants which are land plants not true aquatic I brought them because they look cool but will that do the same thing???

Hello j...

You could experiment if you like. But, the plants I use are ones that will grow emersed, with only the roots under the water.

B

Removing about 1/3 of the green plants in the 220g tank and replacing them with plants in the red/orange/yellow/pink color tones. Really brightened up the tank along with breaking up all the green (cause in a tank that big that is alot of green).

Best getting a large tank so I can fully appreciate my clown loaches and Silver Dollars

Worst getting a clown pleco :mad:

Back
Top Bottom