Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

What is the best way to clean filter medium?

It is always advised not to wash your sponge or other filter medium. My question is than how do we clean the waste from the sponge or cotton inside?

I have two filters. One comes with the tank built in. I don't know how to explain that filter. It is a power head and a pipe lead from head of filter and move from one side or tank roof to other side. In between there are holes in pipe and below is room where we place cotton sold for tank filters. The water than pour from the other end to filter.

What I do to clean that is to throw away old cotton and place new one. Thats it.

Second is a normal internal power head filter with a sponge inside. This filter I installed yesterday so didn't have to clean that yet.

Please advise how can I clean my filters if I don't wash the sponge in my new filter or replace cotton on my existing built in filter. Thanks.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I like to keep more than one filter in a tank if i can, so if i need to i can completely clean a filter without having to start a cycle over. I don't clean filters on the same day i do my water changes. I usually wait around three days after I do a water change before i mess with a filter.

I also use pre-filter sponges over my intake tubes so that i can have two sites of bacteria replication for my filters. so that way i can wash the media during one cleaning and then clean the sponges at a different time.

Other people who have only one filter per tank. put some of the water from their tank into a bucket and then rinse out their filter media like their pad or the filter itself. if you use just normal tap water it can kill established bacteria.
I use really hot tap water but that is because i have multiple sites of good bacteria and won't possibly force my tank to recycle if I clean one filter

I also use a product called stability which is bacteria booster that can help with establishing bacteria or giving it a boost if it is threatened during my water changes

I think since you have two filters you could probably actually clean them like I do. but that is only if you have them in the same tank.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have two hob filters, every other water change or so I pull the blobs of filter floss out of the one, and the cartridge that came with the other, and swish or gently squeeze the gunk out of them in the bucket of water I just took out. Both sets of media were started around 2010, I don't chuck it unless it's gotten to the point of completely falling apart.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-23-2017, 01:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see. So I have two filters now. I will clean one completely because its difficult to clean cotton and must be replaced.

Second one I have is a powerhead filter which has a sponge inside to collect waste. As u guys say if I wash it under tap water I must kill beneficial bacterias. But I still don't understand how to clean it otherwise. What I believe is it can never be clean unless it is washed. Please suggest.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Enthusiast

Tank of the Month Award

Whether you have one or two filters, it doesn't really matter. Like Guppy said, when you do a water change, use some of that water and put it in your sink or a bucket and rinse it off in that water. Then just put the filter back in and you are good to go. I just did that with mine, no issues. This way, the BB doesn't go anywhere, but the plant matter, or anything else potentially clogging your filters are gone.

For example, I have the Fluval 206 canister. I unhook the canister, pour the water in the canister in my sink and scrub/rinse he filters off in the water. Then I put 1/4 of that water back in the filter (without any of the stuff floating in the water of course), and let the rest of the filter fill up like it should when you hook it back up.

WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah now I understand. Rinse tge filter mediun by existing aquarium water. Perfect. This is a big big help guys. Help for life. This way I can clean the filter perfectly and Bb will still remain. Once again big big thanks everyone.

Tags
filter, clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com