What is the best way to deal with algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
Algea in my new planted 55 is starting to get bad. What is the best way to deal with it. I added a few trumpet snails but havnt seen them. My water is very soft and most snails just die in my tanks. The algea I'm seeing is browing in color, and growing on the glass and filter tube. Whats the best way to deal with it?? Plecos? Just scrub it off? some other type of fish or algea eater. I have been planning on getting a gold nugget pleco are they good for eating algea?? The tank is newly planted 160 wats over 55 gal. I use fert once a week.
Thanks

I'd recommend a chinese algae eater (golden or otherwise)..or even a flying fox....Those fish are soo hungry for algae...but watch out..once they're old they become super territiorial, and can easily create a lot of stress for your other fish....

see: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=10733

but if you're after looks (cuz the CAEs ain't too special) stick with a pleco....maybe a Royal or even more laid back species like the rhino pleco

Zach

The algea I'm seeing is browing in color, and growing on the glass and filter tube. Whats the best way to deal with it??

New tank, planted. All tanks like this go through a phase of Brown Diatom Algae. That is almost definitely what you have. Ottos eat it. However, in almost all cases, it will go away on its own in 2-3 weeks.

man thats a lot of lighting (I'm jealous!), and hence you are much more prone to algae. There are many things like what the peeps said about about getting a specialized fish for the job.. and Patwa is hella right about some of the territorial ones. A scrubble wouldn;t be such a bad idea like the magafloats, some will get sucked by the filters and the other will come back, hence this hobby being never ending :) - Some people use stuff like algone and what not, I wouldn't suggest that stuff just because it can have side effects, bad ones which isn't worth the worry of losing other organisms in your tank. Whats the temp of the tank for the majority of the time, also what filters do you have?

Yeah I don't really want to get into any extra chemicals if I don't have to. I would rather add a fish or two to help with the problem. I called the pet shops today nobody had any bristlenose plecs, one place said they should have some later in the week. I would just let the algae run its course but the tank is in my living room and is starting to become a real eyesore. I'm gonna try to scrub off as much as I can tomorrow during weekly water change. The lighting was pretty simple I did a DIY canopy I made it long enough to hold two 48' two tube shop lights from home depot.

yeah I'd say as long as you keep up with the scrubbing, water changes, and also as long as its away from a heat source, like a window, house heater, etc.. it should simmer down a bit. Problem with algae is that it takes time :p

Don't limit yourself to bristlenoses (also known as Bushy Noses). They're great plecos (I have 1--see my gallery), but there are many other species of pleco out there. Hundreds, actually! Check out Pleco websites, and keep in mind these other names: Hairy Tiger, Candy Stripe, Mega Clown Peckoltia, Gold Nugget,Albino Bushy Nose, Queen Arabesque (I have 1--pic in gallery--she's spectacular), King Tiger. Some of these get more expensive, but they would be a nice aesthetic, as well as functional, addition to your tank. None of the plecs I've listed get over 6 inches in length, whereas common Plecos can reach well over a foot. When buying a pleco, do a little research online first. You do NOT want to be stuck with a large specimen. Some stores won't even take it back from you if it's too big for their tanks! I had a common plec that grew from an acceptible 3 inches to an unacceptable 5 inches in 2 months! He was only a loan for cleaning purposes, though.

The specimens I've listed are usually classified as "Dwarf Plecos," and come from several different gena (genuses) including Ancistrus, Hypancistrus and Peckoltia. Look any of these words up on google to get some good results.

Other good algae eaters are Siamese Algae Eaters, Flying Foxes and Ottos (Otocinclus Catfish from the Family Loricariidae--the same family as plecos). Any of these would be good. Plecs are my personal favorite, as they're so varied in coloration and pattern.

Does anyone know if the gold nugget is a good algae eater?
A local fish shop has some gold nuggets and I have been planning on buying one. But now that I have an algae problem and everyone says bristlenose is the best I was thinking maybe i should go with it. Planetcatfish.com says the gold nugs search for high protein food and that plants and algae are avoided. I was really hoping for a gold nugget but if it wont help with my algae then I'll have to pass for now.
I have a common pleco in a 29 gal that I'm gonna be getting rid of pretty soon. I bought two of them when I first started not realizing how big they can get.

There are a few different types of gold nugget pleco. I think the smaller species does a better job with the algae.

A lot of the fish stores in town are getting a good variety of exotic plecos right now. My hubby is now intrigued with fancy plecos and he bought a peppermint pleco earlier in the week. She was a little pricey but she's beautiful! We've also seen blue and green phantoms, mangos, queen arabesque, king royals, etc.

I also just bought a baby clown pleco for my 12 gallon Eclipse. He'll eventually outgrow it but he's only an inch long right now and I needed an algae eater. He'll move into one of our bigger tanks when he gets to about 3 inches or so.

I just love plecos! :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom