What Is The Best Way To Set Up A Sump Filter System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lampro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m planning to get up a 90 gallon tank. I’m still deciding whether I should use canister filter or set up a sump system.

If I get my first sump is it better to buy a complete system rather than DIY? What specific feature should I get for the sump? How many dividers should I have for the sump?

Do I have a drill a hole on the bottom of my tank? How does your tank filter input and output design look like? Do i have to adjust the tank output flow rate to the sump to the same flow rate as the sump pump?

I’m using the 4’ JC&P LED light from Amazon for $47 for my 90 gallon tank

Honestly for a fw tank I’d just use a canister filter. Never ran a fw sump so not sure how you’d set that up but I can answer the other questions. You match your sumps return pump to your overflow system, it’s best to get a stronger pump than you need and use a valve to meter the flow to match what you need. I always drill the back panel, 2 holes a drain and return.

I much prefer a sump over a canister filter. Cleans and aerates better and is easier to clean. You only need two compartments in a sump. One contains the filter material and some substrate on which bacteria can grow. That section receives th outflow from the tank. After the water goes through that side it flows to the other side with the pump and is pumped back into the tank. If you have a glass tank, there's an overflow box that hangs outside of the tank and drains the water into the sump . The overflow box has a J tube that siphons water from the tank into it. Then there is a hose that pumps water back into the tank from the pump. You can DIY or buy a sump. They are pretty pricey but well worth it. IMHO a canister doesn't compare to a sump.

So i guess i need an overflow box, sump, and pump for the sump.
I am planning to use an overflow box that does not need to drill a hole in my tank. Does that mean i need a siphon break for the overflow tubing? to get the air out?
I am also planning to get the sponge section, bio media section, do i need two sections for the sump input and output?
How do you usually clean the sump?

I much prefer a sump over a canister filter. Cleans and aerates better and is easier to clean. You only need two compartments in a sump. One contains the filter material and some substrate on which bacteria can grow. That section receives th outflow from the tank. After the water goes through that side it flows to the other side with the pump and is pumped back into the tank. If you have a glass tank, there's an overflow box that hangs outside of the tank and drains the water into the sump . The overflow box has a J tube that siphons water from the tank into it. Then there is a hose that pumps water back into the tank from the pump. You can DIY or buy a sump. They are pretty pricey but well worth it. IMHO a canister doesn't compare to a sump.

I’ve never trusted those hob overflows, always fist felt like. A flood waiting to happen, but jmo. I’ve always been of the mindset that if your going to do it do it right, not saying job overflows are wrong, because drilling a tank is really pretty easy.

If you buy a sump from Amazon or Marineworld or similar, they come with everything you need. No need to buy anything else except filter material. I use two filter pads in my sumps, one coarse and one fine. Just replace them once a week - takes about 30 seconds - and that's all you need to do as far as cleaning goes.

yea i am also worried about the hohb overflow might stop flowing then it would be a disaster... is there any way to prevent it with a siphon break or whatever?
what is your pump flow rate per hour?
do i need to clean the whole sump sometimes?

I've never had a HOB overflow stop working. Basically all it is is a plastic box with a very coarse filter in it and it's easy to clean. Or you can skip the overflow box filter and there's nothing to clog the drain. It's really nothing to be concerned about.

I've never had a HOB overflow stop working. Basically all it is is a plastic box with a very coarse filter in it and it's easy to clean. Or you can skip the overflow box filter and there's nothing to clog the drain. It's really nothing to be concerned about.
Ya I've had the motor go out or the impeller clog up and stop working. It's never overflowed. If it did, they're designed to overflow into the tank. Maybe if the plastic box cracked you'd get a leak.

i am more worried about the "hang on back overflow U tubing section might have air gap that blocked the drainage flow, then it would be a disaster. or maybe the drainage suddenly stop and it wouldn't flow again unless i manually siphon the air out from the u tubing section.

melevsreef.com how-to-prime-a-hob-overflow

Last edited by a moderator:
i am more worried about the "hang on back overflow U tubing section might have air gap that blocked the drainage flow, then it would be a disaster. or maybe the drainage suddenly stop and it wouldn't flow again unless i manually siphon the air out from the u tubing.

like you know how the output of the tank to the sump. If i have a hang on back overflow drainage system. I would have a U tubing to drain the water out of the tank.

I watched this guy on youtube
for hang on back overflow sump system. It is the simplest tutorial i seen so far. If you have know any simple installation one for beginner let me know please.

Back
Top Bottom