what is the difference between TetraMin and Hikari?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am seeing ads for Hikari fish food and have heard a lot of people like it. What is the difference between it and the TetraMin I have been using besides that I have to special order Hikari and I can get TetraMin at "the store?"

Tetra Min is good...Hikari is a little more high dollar. I buy a little of everything so the fish have variety.

Everyone has their preferences.... I like Omega One, personally - my LFS carries all three brands.

Just look at the ingredients: the reason I don't use Tetramin is because their first ingredient is...what, fish meal, fish digest? I can't remember. Omega One's first ingredient is Salmon. You don't see "fillers" like yeast or soybean until about the 4th ingredient down.

Hikari though...I honestly don't remember. Just take a look though...price does not necessarily mean better quality!

Hikari, new life spectrum and omega one are probably the top 3 foods on the market. They use actual fish over fish meal. Plus new life spectrum comes with garlic already added in some of their foods :)

Plus new life spectrum comes with garlic already added in some of their foods :)

Do they include breath mints? 

Last time I checked, fish meal was fish right on. Usually it's cod (same as Captain D's).

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

My experience with Tetramin (still have some in cabinet) is that it is very messy, I switched to NLS and not only did my fishes color explode but I have never had the mess I did with the Tetramin.

Do they include breath mints? 

Last time I checked, fish meal was fish right on. Usually it's cod (same as Captain D's).

Duh lol. Keeps the vampire fish away too :p

True. ;) Just don't add vampires to your tank.

I should have asked. What does garlic do for fish? I know it drives bass crazy but that's about all I know about it!

It is supposed to boost their immune system. I don't think any real studies have been done on it's effects though

As far as I can tell, It's a toss-up: "whole" identifies the whole fish was used, not just the skin, scales, bones, blood, and other leftovers - so "fish meal" could just be the leftover, indigestible proteins....or it could be the whole fish, there's no telling.

On the other hand, "whole salmon" includes the water weight later removed in processing, so you might get much less of the nutrition....I trust Omega One because it includes several types of "whole" named fish. But, that's a leap of faith too.

Ideally, "whole fish meal" would be the winner, as it means they dry weight of the entire, nutritious fish.

So....ehhh...who knows?

I judge the quality of my food by the fishes response to it.

Some food they eat, some food they really eat.
Normally the food they really eat stays on the list.

Also if the colours get brighter or other good obs are made then the food stays on the list.

I don't think I've ever looked at the ingredients list on dry food products.

I judge the quality of my food by the fishes response to it.

Some food they eat, some food they really eat.
Normally the food they really eat stays on the list.

Also if the colours get brighter or other good obs are made then the food stays on the list.

I don't think I've ever looked at the ingredients list on dry food products.

This is how I did it too, trying to figure out which my fish like best. Using xtreme now, but NLS was close. For a couple weeks, fed xtreme, NLS, and hikari food and the xtreme was always the first eaten. My cichlids have better color and are more active with xtreme.

I won't touch omega one though, a couple of my fish started having seizures when I was feeding that.

I began using Omega One colour micro-pellets over Wardley flakes and saw my fish eating a lot more and looking a lot brighter. Just today I started using Hikari First Bites for my newborn molly fry and they seem to really like it:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Back
Top Bottom