What is the ideal setup for a quarentine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yeah, I'm back and I'm postin crazy again :p

Anyhow, I need to invest in a QT tank. I've been holding off until after we move in January, but I got some Christmas moola and I probably ought to spend it before it goes to bills.

I was thinking of getting a little Eclipse, but... If you put a sick fish in there isn't the bio-wheel essentially tainted? And then the tank needs to be cycled all over again? I guess I just need to know what is the ideal size considering you may have more than one fish in there and you may have larger fish. That's not a concern now, but who knows when a mess of discus or an big ol' eel shows up. What's the easiest to tear down and set back up?

Avoid the Eclipse setup. Look in your local paper, or your local Bargain Trader for a used 20-gal long, if you want something that will house most any fish you need to medicate or quarrantine. You can still go with bare bottom and a sponge filter, or if the deals in your paper are like mine, you can get a complete 20-gal setup for about $25. Don't worry about biowheels for this kind of thing.

Put the word out that you are willing to adopt old aquarium equipment, I already have a 10 and a 20 on the way. The 20 will be a grow out tank eventually and the 10 a QT.

You can keep a HOB or sponge filter 'alive' by running it as extra filtration on another, bigger tank and just put it on the QT tank when needed.

I understand that QT tanks are simple, bare-bones hospitals. You don't really need substrate (unless I guess you have fish that like to burrow), a sponge filter is adequate, a hiding place and a heater.

So you do need to change the filter after every treatment in the QT tank? I have my 5 dwarf puffers in my 10g and they don't need more room but I think I would rather have another larger thank than get another 10g.

If I did not get the 10 gallon donated to me, I would probably just use a rubbermaid bin for the QT. I have a powerhead for circulation and I plan on putting a sponge on it soon for just that purpose. I have a chunk of marble that is smooth on one side to stick the heater to, toss in the sponge and I'm ready to go.

I would probably not break down and disinfect the filter if all the QT fish were healthy at the end of QT, but I might. If I had to do ANY treatment, I definitely would.

At the end of treatment, I definitely break the tank down and keep it empty, completely disinfecting the filter and putting it back in one of the big tanks to get re-seeded for future use. The Q-tank stays empty until next time (if I keep it running, it turns into a regular show tank, then I have to get ANOTHER tank... that's one of the ways I got my handle.. :wink: )

I just make sure to have extra sponges or filter floss in my regular tank HOB filters. Then it can be added to another tank if needed in a cheap walmart filter. Heater is essential as it is often used in many treatments. There are also many meds out there that will kill off the good bacteria so you won't need to use establish filter media anyway. You can always do daily water changes as well (which many meds recommend anyway).

TankGirl said:
(if I keep it running, it turns into a regular show tank, then I have to get ANOTHER tank... that's one of the ways I got my handle.. :wink: )

I can completely see that happening! I had planned on keeping a couple fish in it to keep it going but I think I'd best just keep some extra filter media curing, lol. Thanks all! :]

Back
Top Bottom