What is the largest fish I could have, to live by itself in a 50g tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sealife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
If I was to have 1 large American cichlid fish, by itself in a 50g - 122cm long tank, how big could the fish be to still be happy in this size tank, and for my water to still be healthy?
Im guessing a fish that grows up to 20cm?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

From my knowledge, sunfish are not available in my Australia.

Would an oscar really be okay? Because i love them but I thought they grow around 40cm?

Sweet. Do any type of oscars grow smaller than others? Or are they all the same, just different colour?

What filter woukd be recommended for the oscar and my tank?

Thanks

I was thinking of canister eheim 2215. Can anyone say if it is ok for my tank?

Bump
Is eheim 2215 ok for this tank and fish

I have seen chiclids filling up a 50 gallon tank befoe, why go with only one? Why not get a half dozen, they have a tank full of those fish at the hospital where i go the tank is about 75 gallons and theres at least 25 of them in there.
Im sure someone will tell me/you thats overstocking, but really unless your a fish's rights activist, as long as you have good filtration you could put at least a half dozen in a 50 gallon tank.

I have seen chiclids filling up a 50 gallon tank befoe, why go with only one? Why not get a half dozen, they have a tank full of those fish at the hospital where i go the tank is about 75 gallons and theres at least 25 of them in there.
Im sure someone will tell me/you thats overstocking, but really unless your a fish's rights activist, as long as you have good filtration you could put at least a half dozen in a 50 gallon tank.
Because it gets to the point where its impossible to keep the water parameters within normal limits.
Bump
Is eheim 2215 ok for this tank and fish

Personally, I prefer more flow for my tanks. But yes, it would work fine.

Personally, I prefer more flow for my tanks. But yes, it would work fine.

+1, I prefer multiple filters on all my tanks. For a 55g tank with 1 Oscar, 2 aquaclear 70s would be perfect. And if you're going to add multiple fish, I would just get a group of small Oscars and as soon as you get 1 that you like, sell the rest. You'll see once an Oscar gets in the 6-8" range, the 55g will start looking pretty small.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys.
With filtration, I'm grabbing an Eheim 2217. Bigger and better.

Back
Top Bottom