What is the longest you can vacation and leave fish alone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Honking of a 3 week vacation; can it be done?

Fresh water tank with Gouramis, tetras, Cory's
24g nano cube

Thanks!

That's probably pushing it a little more than I'd feel comfortable with. 2 weeks with those fish, I wouldn't be all that concerned. 3 weeks just seems like too much. I'd probably have someone come (if possible... ) and feed them twice during your vacation. And if you do, hide all the other food and portion out a normal serving for each feeding.

**** spell correct on my IPhone. Lol

I should mention, I will be buying an auto feeder so if you have a good one, please recommend.

That's probably pushing it a little more than I'd feel comfortable with. 2 weeks with those fish, I wouldn't be all that concerned. 3 weeks just seems like too much. I'd probably have someone come (if possible... ) and feed them twice during your vacation. And if you do, hide all the other food and portion out a normal serving for each feeding.

I agree with this. Non-aquarium owners do not prescribe to the less is more philosophy of fish feeding.

I myself just came back fom florida. On one of my tanks I have an auto feeder that i got from wal-mart (don't really like it). On my 55 thay got fed every couple days and a water change was performed every 4 days. So I guess my question is how fast do your nitrates rise. (I can't go a week without them touching 20) I would also recommend that you get them to feed them every 2 days. IME if they are not fed often enough they don't produce enough ammo and it has happened that my bb has died off, and you come back to a mess.

Get a auto feeder fed once every day

And when you get back to do 1 60% water change

And keep doing them until are your levels are fine again :)

I have yet to see an auto feeder that doesn't overfeed. Don't trust them, don't trust feeding blocks...... entirely trust my Pet Nanny.....

Sometimes you can hire a tech from your local vet's office to take care of your tanks for you, even if they only drop in every 3rd day.

Looks like I may have to get a person in to at least water change if I can get a reliable auto feeder.... Thanks for the advice!

At least test the auto feeder for a few weeks before leaving if you do, do that. And i wouldnt get a cheapie

I went to Florida for 14 days and relied on my eheim auto feeder and timers on my lighting and power heads. I had a friend stop by a few times to check on things and refill the feeder once.

Fed twice a day, about 8 hours apart and timed the powerhead so it didn't kick on firing feeding time, but did about a hour after to help clean things up.

When I got home, everyone was alive and my parameters were not that far off, but I did a water change anyways

I went to California for a month but had my mom
And sister help me. Just teach your parents if you still live at home :)

You can buy dissolving food blocks that release just the right amount of food each day but the largest you can get is 2 weeks but fish can survive without food for 2 weeks so buy a block and when that's gone they will be fine until you come back. P.S do not try and make up for the food you missed when you come back as your fish will die. Hope my advice helps. :) pps the auto feeder cost loads of money so food block which are just a few pounds are your best bet.

Glen44 said:
You can buy dissolving food blocks that release just the right amount of food each day but the largest you can get is 2 weeks but fish can survive without food for 2 weeks so buy a block and when that's gone they will be fine until you come back. P.S do not try and make up for the food you missed when you come back as your fish will die. Hope my advice helps. :) pps the auto feeder cost loads of money so food block which are just a few pounds are your best bet.

Many people actually not approve of using the dissolving blocks because it can easily increase your ammonia and nitrate as well as cause other problems. Also the two weeks is not really accurate. I think other people might be able to explain it better than I could.

Yeah the blocks don't really work the food just ends up squashed around the block when you come back. The excess of food the causes ammo, nitrite and nitrate spikes which can kill your fish.

Glen welcome to the forum

It depends is you buy a rubbish cheap block or you buy the quality stuff. I went on holiday and the block worked fine and didnt make the tank dirty

Back
Top Bottom