What is the minimum for a happy Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RogerMcAllen

Aquarium Advice Addict
My dorm room looks a little drab with no fish, so a betta is the obvious choice. As a chem major I feel obligated to put it into a piece of chemistry glassware. So basically, I want to know what the minimum amount of space a beta would need to be happy? I plan on having a shallow bed of gravel on the bottom and some live anacharis in there with him.

Would a beaker somewhere between 1-5L, .26 - 1.3 gallons, be big enough?

Is there a better plant for this situation?

1.3gallons sounds fairly good.

Just as long as he has plenty of room to swim around yeah, I don't believe and keeping them in those little bowls where they can't do anything but turn around in place.

Personally, I have mine in a two gallon bowl and he appears quite happy [ saved him from a younger sister that never changed his water ], he does make bubblenests quite often afterall.

So yeah, Anything thats around 1.5gal or greater should be fine, I'm thinking..

however I'm not a betta expert nor am I trying to claim to be..

So if I'm terribly off track here or just downright wrong please, someone point it out :)

Bettas should be in a minimum of 1 gallon. If you put him in a vase (or beaker) without filtration, stones should be put in the bottom, and the water should be changed around once a week. A live plant should be used for oxygen, or a little bubble stone if you don't want a live plant. Most important, however, is that the fish has access to the surface for air.

What do you mean by stones? Aquarium gravel or something larger?

I agree with a live plant, but what type would you suggest?

A 1.5 gallon beaker is fine. What is the shape of the beaker? Does it have a skinny neck or not? If it has a skinny neck, it's going to be a pain to clean. There should be a lot of surface water; is this the case with the beaker? The betta does need to get to the surface for air. I think I remember beakers being round and tall...ideally a betta bowl should be longer or wider than it is tall, but this beaker is ok as long as there is enough air surface for the betta to get to.

I just used regular aquarium gravel in my bowls. It's Estes brand, and I bought it in the 5 pound bags. I think I've seen some gravel in small little packets, just for betta bowls, so you don't have to buy a huge bag. But I don't have any real plants. I don't know what kind of substrate they like. But from other posts about plants that bettas like, I think a java fern would be ok. Maybe it will do well in normal gravel, but you might have to give it a few drops of a supplement.

I would get an ammonia test kit, if you don't already have one, and test his ammonia. You may find that you have to do 50% water changes twice a week. The real plant may help with the ammonia level; I don't know because I haven't had one yet. Just do your ammonia testing so you can see about how many days it takes to rise, and do your changes based on that.

Have you had a betta before? You'll love them. Mine are full of personality!

An "air stone" is a porous stone which you connect to an air tube, which is in turn connected to an air pump. This allows oxygen to permeate the water, something most fish tend to like. ;)

We have a 1 gal aquarium which now houses 2 very teeny guppies which a friend gave to us... I had a Betta in it at first but I felt bad for him and went out to buy him a 2 gallon aquarium instead. He really seems to like it. He seemed content in the 1 gal too, though, so your beaker is probably just fine.

Sheila

Definately get a bunch of java fern. It is a low light plant that requires very little care. Perfect for a small betta tank. 1 gallon will do but make sure to change 50% of the water every 3-4 days and use a dechlorinator for the new water. And in such a small tank make sure to feed him only 1 time a day or the water will foul up quickly. And make sure the temp stays at least at 70F. They are tropical fish and like warmer water (ie keep away from the window!!).

MicroFish said:
An "air stone" is a porous stone which you connect to an air tube, which is in turn connected to an air pump. This allows oxygen to permeate the water, something most fish tend to like. ;)

So it isn't some sort of flying rock?

Seriously though, thanks for all of the advice. A beacker is just like a jar, no narrow top, with the exception that it is graduated (volume markings) and has a pouring spout. Here is a pic of one.
beaker.jpg

Oh yes, that's how I remember a beaker, from my chemistry classes in college, a long (LONG!) time ago. What am I thinking of with the skinny neck, then? a flask?

My betta was a real a**hole :lol:
Whenever you got close to him he would flare up (display). I had him in a large bowl but then put him in a real aquarium. He didn't like the current in the tank that the filter made, so the airstone idea might be too much if he can't get away from the bubbles. I finally gave him away to a pet store because all he did was chase around EVERYTHING (tetras, the snail...) displaying all day. He obviously was happier on his own.

Just my experience.

Back
Top Bottom