What is the one fish you REGRETTED buying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Channel Cat.
Looked cute and tiny in the LFS tank. About a year later he was nearly a foot long and eating everything including the fish he outgrew. Eventually released him into a local lake.

NEVER release a fish that has been kept in captivity into a local water way, that how lion fish happened in the atlantic and aquarists get a bad rap for it. :nono: I know this is hard to understand but if you can't find anyone to take it is would be better to euthanize it than release it into a local water way. It's the only other responsible thing to do. On to the fish purchase I regret the most, either rainbow shark or chines algae eater. The CAE was way back in the day when I just started. Threw him in my 20 gallon with some other fish and me murdered half of them and sucked the slime coat off of the others, log story short I re-homed him and it was over with. Rainbow shark was about 1.5 years ago and he was a terror to have after a few months. Staked his claim dead smack in the middle of the tank and chased all other fish to the corner. Re-homed him as well and boy was I glad to have him off of my hands. :lol: Oh! I have another, pair of Gardneri Killifish. About a year and a half ago as well. Total impulse buy at a local club auction for an ok price. The male ended up taking out 5 fish overnight and the female went carpet surfing! Ended up with no fish for about $20. :facepalm:Well there's the end of my long list of impulse buys. Thank God Ive got it figured out at this point (y) thanks for listening. :thanks:

NEVER release a fish that has been kept in captivity into a local water way, that how lion fish happened in the atlantic and aquarists get a bad rap for it. :nono: I know this is hard to understand but if you can't find anyone to take it is would be better to euthanize it than release it into a local water way. It's the only other responsible thing to do. On to the fish purchase I regret the most, either rainbow shark or chines algae eater. The CAE was way back in the day when I just started. Threw him in my 20 gallon with some other fish and me murdered half of them and sucked the slime coat off of the others, log story short I re-homed him and it was over with. Rainbow shark was about 1.5 years ago and he was a terror to have after a few months. Staked his claim dead smack in the middle of the tank and chased all other fish to the corner. Re-homed him as well and boy was I glad to have him off of my hands. :lol: Oh! I have another, pair of Gardneri Killifish. About a year and a half ago as well. Total impulse buy at a local club auction for an ok price. The male ended up taking out 5 fish overnight and the female went carpet surfing! Ended up with no fish for about $20. :facepalm:Well there's the end of my long list of impulse buys. Thank God Ive got it figured out at this point (y) thanks for listening. :thanks:

While I agree that releasing fish from the aquarium is a terrible practice, channel cats are native to pretty much everywhere so the real threat was the possibility of introducing disease into the lake.

Gardneri are the devils of killifish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

While I agree that releasing fish from the aquarium is a terrible practice, channel cats are native to pretty much everywhere so the real threat was the possibility of introducing disease into the lake.

The disease was the part that I was getting at but didn't really mention :lol: The odds of a single invasive fish finding another of the opposite gender and spawning is very slim in non-native waters but it can happen. However, I would like to refute your claim on Channel cats being indigenous to almost every where. Here is a Map of world distribution with Blue Channel cats being present in only about 2/3rds of the US and only in the three countries. In all honesty I would not say that they pose no threat if released into the wild.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    12.3 KB · Views: 275
I'm posting 2 freshwater fish and 2 saltwater fish (for saltwater newbies sakes) :).
My freshwater fish are the dwarf Gourami and the Chinese algae eater. Both of these fish destroyed a school of neons. Though I have to say it was a team effort. My saltwater fish are a damselfish and a 6-line wrasse. The damsel ended up causing Ich by attacking other fish and that killed 3 fish while he stayed fine. The wrasse ended up taking a loooong nap on my bed.

Australian rainbows. I had a group of 3. I know a little on the small side but I had planned on adding more. Every where I read was "great community fish" and other accolades for them. Well... Mine were soooo food aggressive that I had to over feed to get enough past them to fish below. Didn't matter what type either- pellets, tabs, flakes, dried stuff, thawed frozen. They are everything. Definitely food aggressive. And then they started getting mean (the male especially) and chasing everyone else around. I finally rehomed them to a friend with others in a rainbow only tank.

And their tank mates aren't slow or bad eaters either. Some really piggy serpae tetras, denison barbs, and baby clown loaches. As soon as I got rid of them everyone in the tank was less stressed and the tetras stopped hiding. They were also tearing up my plants. They were still babies when I got them and they were in a 55 so not too small for them and especially not once we upgrade to the 150 but like a week after I got them I hated them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well I love Australian rainbows. I have 2 (had a third who died) in my cichlid tank who are perfectly fine and the cichlids can't catch them. :)

CAE too. Seems like a common issue. He killed 2 barbs over night in my tank. Don't buy one!!

Plecos. They are super aggressive and take too many giant craps. They mess up the tank more than cleaning it. They also eat live plants. And dig. And ate my prized and especially smart angelfish.

A trio of "glofish"
The fish were a sibling's pet (kept in a 3 gallon) until she got bored of them so I ended up having to take over. They probably would have died of neglect otherwise.
The fish were neat though, so I didn't mind...but I lacked the money to upgrade to a 20g and had them cooped up in a cheap 10g instead. (Didn't have a job since I was too young lol)

I was with her when she (her mother I should say) bought it but I wasn't really into fish keeping at the time...but now that I know, I would've made her pick a Betta or something. 3 and 10 gallon tanks are far too small for a trio of Diano since they're so zippy. They're much happier in bigger tanks, from what I've read.

But I guess I can't feel too bad since I did get into fish keeping because of t!

Tell that to my little angel gardnerie killies lol. They have never hurt a thing other than the hairs on my arm. Their bites freaking sting!

My dwarf crayfish, but only when kept with other bottom dwellers. It's like hell just got placed in a fish and turned up like they're drunk and high at the same time. They tore my cory's apart, and never bred like I wanted them to, and I even had a certified pair! Jerk crayfish.....

Nils

Chinese algae eater. Wanted a good eater for my 10g didn't realize he got big and he ended up ramming a molly killing it. Also Molly's they're nice but kinda out of place in my tank

Sent from peliper

Hill stream loaches. Beautiful fish but hid most of the time. Hid down side of filter when I was changing substrate and didn't do to we'll afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hill stream loaches. Beautiful fish but hid most of the time. Hid down side of filter when I was changing substrate and didn't do to we'll afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They are gorgeous fish but not really recommended for aquariums anyway because of the conditions they need.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Danios and Rainbowfish. Crazy hyper and voracious eaters, as has been mentioned. My betta sorority, Cherry barbs and balloon mollies wouldn't have a ghost of a chance at eating if they didn't have their floating bamboo at one end of the tank. That's where I feed them, and the Rainbows can't get into it easily. The Danios I gave back to the pet store. Had a HECK of a time catching those boogers! I like slow, easy going, friendly fish. The Rainbows are none of those things. At least mine aren't.

Chinese sucking catfish - actually went fine in the tank but used to disappear into the ugf all the time for weeks.

Black convict. I had him alone in a tank except for my BN, he hid all the time inside driftwood, all tilted and tucked up inside. Ended up with some danios, thought 'yay dither fish', he decided to kill them at night. Eight. One at a time. Craigslisted him after that.

Chinese algae eater, what a horrible community fish. Wasn't around more than two weeks before he started sucking on the sides of his tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom