what is the % water change weekly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adnanosmani07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
40 gal
2 Angel fish with eheim 2213
Developed for 2 years, I do 35% wc but If I do 50% weekly will that be a beneficial thing to do.

Ideally you should aim to keep your nitrates below 20 ppm, with angels I would shoot for 10 ppm. You should change however much it takes to keep your nitrates at an acceptable number.

You can use Aqadvisor.com to get an accurate % based on the size of your tank, your filter and fish type and quantity. I found that site very helpful for this kind of calculations. Good luck!

You can use Aqadvisor.com to get an accurate % based on the size of your tank, your filter and fish type and quantity. I found that site very helpful for this kind of calculations. Good luck!

I was totally going to just recommend aqadvisor.com as well. Great site!

I was totally going to just recommend aqadvisor.com as well. Great site!
I change water every 45days!!! All fish and plants ok.
Just don't overstock the tank. Run water filter 24/7. Plant and others does their job cleaning, etc.

Aqadvisor can be a helpful tool, but it should not be relied upon for every detail. Nothing tops knowing what you're doing rather than being told by a computer.

With that size tank and if you only have 2 angelfish then your weekly WC amount is fine as long as your nitrates are 20ppm or below.

For the last 30+ years I've always done 50% WC's weekly to keep all tank water pristine, regardless of how light or heavy it is stocked. Plants help by absorbing nitrates and phosphates. If you don't have plants then substrate vacuuming is advised but in a planted tank it's not necessary. Also if filters are not kept clean they can build up detris and cause high nitrate levels. So basically you need to consider many things when deciding how much water to change weekly. I just feel a 50% WC weekly and keeping filters properly cleaned gives the fish the most pristine water.

With that size tank and if you only have 2 angelfish then your weekly WC amount is fine as long as your nitrates are 20ppm or below.

For the last 30+ years I've always done 50% WC's weekly to keep all tank water pristine, regardless of how light or heavy it is stocked. Plants help by absorbing nitrates and phosphates. If you don't have plants then substrate vacuuming is advised but in a planted tank it's not necessary. Also if filters are not kept clean they can build up detris and cause high nitrate levels. So basically you need to consider many things when deciding how much water to change weekly. I just feel a 50% WC weekly and keeping filters properly cleaned gives the fish the most pristine water.

I only have two plants and I do vacuum and I guess u wanted to know if its gonna harm in any ways to do more %, I seem the fishes are more flowing and less work to swim around when I do more % very active.
Thanks big guy!

I've found over the years that most fish enjoy a good sized water change and become more active after one. Many species, like cory cats for example tend to spawn after a WC with slightly cooler water. I have 12 adult breeding angels in my 220g and always use water a couple degrees cooler than the tank water and it's very common for spawning to occur shortly after a WC.

PS: I'm female... lol!

I've found over the years that most fish enjoy a good sized water change and become more active after one. Many species, like cory cats for example tend to spawn after a WC with slightly cooler water. I have 12 adult breeding angels in my 220g and always use water a couple degrees cooler than the tank water and it's very common for spawning to occur shortly after a WC.

PS: I'm female... lol!

Lol sorry about, I wish I had a 220g. Thanks for all your informations.

Water Changes

40 gal
2 Angel fish with eheim 2213
Developed for 2 years, I do 35% wc but If I do 50% weekly will that be a beneficial thing to do.

Hello ad...

Waste products take time to build up to harmful levels. If you change half the water every week, then there's no time for toxins to build up before it's time to change the water again. Your fish and plants will always live in water with a stable water chemistry. The more tank water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the inhabitants.

B

Hello ad...

Waste products take time to build up to harmful levels. If you change half the water every week, then there's no time for toxins to build up before it's time to change the water again. Your fish and plants will always live in water with a stable water chemistry. The more tank water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the inhabitants.

B

Ok kool!

Back
Top Bottom