What is this???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jThessin said:
not sure but i may have another photo i can post if it helps

yah post another photo, or attach info on it's size/shape

i've had a couple freshwater flounders before....but they were pretty small... maybe about 1.5" or less in length....and they used to change colour a bit...from black to a dark brown....

Zach.

There were some postings about this a while back when PetsMart was carrying them. From what I can tell, they are basically bottom feeders and prefer sand. Depending upon the species, they will grow to be 4-5" and I do believe they will eat small fish in your aquarium when they get older. Some say they are really a brackish fish but I don't know how true that is. Many seem to have trouble keeping them alive, and that may be the result of the lack of proper identification and info on care. The PetsMart where I saw them did not give a scientific name, which makes it very tricky. I think you can feed them just about anything that sinks, including frozen bloodworms and the like. Good luck, and I would love to see more pictures!

It sure does look a lot like a Tongue Fish I saw at a PetSmart by me a while back. Finding info on them is hard though....

*agrees with lmw80*

Yep, even without another pic (tho more will help to make it definitive), I'm also pretty sure thats a tonguefish. Do a google search; theres not a lot of info, but there may be some. Try www.fishbase.org as well.

Heres some more

Hope this works im leaving it the same size
he has tan irredescent scales with what could be dark bands but i suspect these are just normal body lines created by the muscle arrangments
right now he is about 5 inches long about 1.5-2.5 inches across and about 1/8 inch thick. he was sold at a Petsupermarket under the name
Import Flounder
Jim
Thanks for all the responses
i personally believe this fish to be a sole of some sort

Yes, it does look just like the tongue fish we all saw at PetsMart. Keep us posted on how you do with it!

Super cool pictures.. For sure keep us posted... Is it in brackish water right now?

Back
Top Bottom