What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry about the bad quality. But it seems to just be black and fuzzy looking.
Is it harmful? How do I get rid of it?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111008_201224.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111008_201224.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 155
hmmm it looks like algae!!! how long has the tank been set up???????? what are your parameters??? and to get rid off it water changes also try to reduce your light timing lights should be on between 10 hours daily but some keep them 8-12

Its been set up for at least 6 months. Parameters are all good ammo 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates are almost 0. And my lights are on for 10 hours a day

Size of tank and lighting? Is your tank near a window? Its algae for sure, I just got rid of the same kind myself.

Its a 40 breeder and idk what the lights are its just one bulb and doesn't even light the back very good

Is it the stock light that came with the tank? And is it near a window?

Oh. The only thing I can think of is leaving it on for less hours

me too!!! where in utah do u live. the reason of me asking that its in some areas of salt lake (magna kearns etc) have bad water and r high on phosphate which algea thrive on

I live in clinton, near layton and ogden. That could be it cause the water is way hard and high ph here, idk about phosphate though

yeah what i would do if i were u i would get some ro water and mix it wit tap so it still has nutrients or watever it has and also it will lower the ph `

What kind of fish do you have? If this turns into something not easily fixed (ie: needing to create ro water instead of limiting light exposure), what about getting some fish/shrimp/snail to take care of it for you?

I would take it out try and scrub it off a little bit then store some place where its dark and dry that should kill off the algae. I cant tell if the object is a rock or wood but you might consider getting another one just like it or similar and just replace them with each other every time you do a water change. That should keep the algae growth down to a minimum if you do that with all your decor.

Back
Top Bottom