What is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice try medge00....but that's not a Scat. That is Ctenopoma acutirostre, an African anabantoid that is found in many of the lakes and rivers of Western Africa. It is decidedly predatory and can take a fish nearly half its size if it is hungry. I've kept many of the species of Ctenopoma and found them to be relatively unaggressive with tankmates of their own size and larger. In fact...they can be downright shy if their tankmates are too aggressive. Note that non-aggressive does NOT mean they're not predatory....they just don't fight a lot with other fish.

I used to have a very large (450 gallon) tank set up that was a West African semi-biotope. Along with Polypterus species, it housed Congo Tetras (Phenacogrammus interruptus), African Butterfly Fish (Pantodon buchholzi), an African Mud Fish (Phractolaemus ansorgii), 'Kribensis' cichlids (Pelvicachromis species) and a number of different species of Ctenopoma. It was my showpiece tank and it broke my heart to get rid of it when I got out of the hobby about 20 years ago.

Oh...having a degree in Biology and working on-and-off with tropical fish for almost 40 years doesn't hurt either :) !!

Dude, so happy to see someone with a Ctenopoma--I almost never see them, and the "leopard" variety is a real beaut.

If any of you are NYC ppl, I know a guy who breeds these, and I might be able to hook you up. No guarantees, but it's possible.

Oh, and yeah... Fruitbat knows his stuff!

Boy! Some people have all the luck! :p

Hope ya got a goood lid!!
A 6 inch fish that likes to go places. And they have slurpy mouths like carp..the mouth and lips just stretch open and >gulp!< "hey where did the tetra go?" :lol:
i've seen them do okay with same size semi aggressives..... they were in with some snakeskins and a few snacks. I know the water was super soft with a low pH for both..and that is it. They were a friends of my gramps. They liked to collect a hodge podge of fish.

(actuallyI'm only mildly envious..more into asian labyrinths :wink: )

yea this guy has been great, he adjusted to his new tank immediately. Seems very interested in what I'm doing outside the tank.

He does have an Angel and a few Corys as tank mates is this going to be a problem? As of now I know there is no way he could eat any of these guys, but once he grows a little there could be a problem.

So not a bad pickup for $1.99 out of a variety tank huh?

So not a bad pickup for $1.99 out of a variety tank huh?
8O
I think you got yerself a deal on a fish not often seen (at least around here) so thanks for sharing your find!

You should post this with pics over in New Acquisitions and get yourself in the next newsletter.

Back
Top Bottom