What is This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again. I have noticed this stuff growing on and around my filter recently (See attached pictures). I can't tell what it is, but have a sneaking suspicion that it's mold or fungus (REALLY hoping not). Can someone help me identify and get rid of it? Thanks!

image-1964943043.jpg

image-3526066779.jpg

Attachments

• image-3887054482.jpg
    image-3887054482.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 73
looks like mold to me, your filter media should be completely submerged. you can cot off the top and try 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill the rest of it. you definitely don't want mold growing in your house

looks like mold to me, your filter media should be completely submerged. you can cot off the top and try 3% hydrogen peroxide to kill the rest of it. you definitely don't want mold growing in your house

Oh, fun. It's a canister filter with what was said to be a waterfall... I know this is going to be a stupid question, but do I do the hydrogen peroxide in or out of the tank? Will it harm fish? Or will it harm them not to have a filter for a while?

thats a tetra whisper right? i have had one of those that came with a kit i bought, ditch the filter cartridges and get some fluval poly foam and cut it to size, it works much better imo. you will just need to keep the seeded filter media in for 4-6 weeks. for the peroxide, first you can just cut the filter media below the water line. then take the filter out and dip a paper towel in peroxide and wipe out the top of the filter. then run the filter in a small bucket of tank water and your good to go.

thats a tetra whisper right? i have had one of those that came with a kit i bought, ditch the filter cartridges and get some fluval poly foam and cut it to size, it works much better imo. you will just need to keep the seeded filter media in for 4-6 weeks. for the peroxide, first you can just cut the filter media below the water line. then take the filter out and dip a paper towel in peroxide and wipe out the top of the filter. then run the filter in a small bucket of tank water and your good to go.

Okay. Thanks for the advice. You are right about the filter. This is the first issue I've had with it, thankfully. Unfortunately, I've already bought a year's worth of media which I think I'll use up before switching. Where do you get the foam? Again, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom