What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rolance

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought these live plants at petsmart but they didn't have them under the right tag. There is some little clear thing with white dots in it on top of one of the leaves. I'm guessing maybe an egg sac of some sort? Anyone know what it is and what kind of plants these are?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 78
They are the two plants in the back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 80
Will I be able to get them out? Hopefully they haven't hatched by the time I get off work

Yes, definitely snail eggs. The plant looks like wisteria, but the emersed form. Since it's the emersed forum, it's kinda odd that you found snail eggs. Were these plants in a tank, underwater, when you bought them, or in the plastic tubes? By the way, your wisteria plant's leaves will look very different when they start to grow in their submerged form. Google for photos of "water wisteria".

The two tall ones that y'all are saying is Wisteria were in a tank when I bough them. Is it better to by the ones in a tube?

I bought the ones in a tube, then found out I don't have enough light for real plants, they're still alive, but I have to keep the light on for like 12 hours a day.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For sure it's pond snails eggs, I had that before. If you don't want pond snails, then it's probably too late, you'll need assasin snails to get rid of it.

You think it's too late even if I can get those eggs out? What exactly is the characteristics and everything of an assassin snail? Will they eat fish or shrimp eggs?

They will eat dead fishs, as it's a carnivorous snail, and will eat other snails. When there's no more pond snails, they'll start to eat themselve and progressively die.

Once you have 1-2 pond snails, it's too late, they'll reproduce. You can control pond snail population by not overfeeding.

I had three snails outbreak, started by the ponds... I didn't added assasins, I think there were eggs on a plant i purchased, now there's only few assasins remaining after 6 month.

You think it's too late even if I can get those eggs out? What exactly is the characteristics and everything of an assassin snail? Will they eat fish or shrimp eggs?

It's not that big of a deal. People don't like pond snails, but personally I don't mind them. They only have population explosions when there is an abundance of uneaten food in the tank. They don't hurt anything, but are just there.

It's not that big of a deal. People don't like pond snails, but personally I don't mind them. They only have population explosions when there is an abundance of uneaten food in the tank. They don't hurt anything, but are just there.

I mean, they're a great addition for your tank, but people usually find them ugly... IMO they're cute snails.

They look like this when some get adults:
pond-snails.jpg

The little dots on the window are snails fry, but this is huge case, I never that much of snails ^.^

If you keep then tank healty, then you'll only have some of them, if the tank is overfeed and unclean, they might spawn in hundreds, thousands. Anyway, at the moment they starve, some tend to die. I would like assasin and pond snails can live together, I find them cool.

Back
Top Bottom