What is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mac11

Aquarium Advice Activist
I discovered this while inspected my tank today under part of my rock setup. What is it?

Sorry for the crappy picture

Attachments

• DSCN3724.jpg
    DSCN3724.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 100
well i gotta get rid of them then. thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:
They do not kill plants! Oh my. They eat decaying plant matter. Snails are absolutely beneficial to your tank. If you don't want an over population make sure not to overfeed.

These snails are asexual, when too many of them are in the tank they will start eating ANY plant matter, including living plants ;) trust me, I know first hand.

Pond/bladder snails are perfectly safe with plants. They will eat decaying leaves and nibble on biofilm on top of healthy leaves but they won't directly harm plants. They're perfectly normal and harmless in any sort of planted tank.

Sorry but your mistaken. It's happened to my tanks before, and it's happening to one now. They CAN eat plants and kill the ecosystem, they can also be just fine in the tank. But in my experience, they always harm, not help.

Sorry but your mistaken. It's happened to my tanks before, and it's happening to one now. They CAN eat plants and kill the ecosystem, they can also be just fine in the tank. But in my experience, they always harm, not help.

I mean no offense by this but if it appears that they are harming your plants then your plants are likely not doing well and the snails are taking advantage of decaying and malnourished leaves. Pond snails and other common snails like MTS have been a natural part of planted tanks for decades.

I mean no offense by this but if it appears that they are harming your plants then your plants are likely not doing well and the snails are taking advantage of decaying and malnourished leaves. Pond snails and other common snails like MTS have been a natural part of planted tanks for decades.

I agree as well. I have every variety of snail (pond, mts, ramshorn, nerites, trapdoor, apple, etc) in my planted tanks, with fancy goldfish, no less. The snails do not harm healthy, living plants in my tanjs or in my pond. If you have issues with snails eating plants, this indicates an imbalance of some sort in your tank that is resulting in your plants being unhealthy and susceptible to snail snacking.

Despite everyone despising snails, they really are not an issue unless there is something else out of sorts. For example, ponds nails reproduce at an insane rate in my fry tanks due to heavy feeding but as soon as the feeding is reduced, the population returns to minimal levels. They honestly are not issue unless one happens to become lodged in an impeller. :)

Back
Top Bottom