What is this!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bgmann12

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this stuff it is all over my dwarf hair grass and roots of my java fern.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398560760.611971.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398560781.401116.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398560797.033306.jpg

It's the white stuff that is on the tips of the DHG and the roots of the java fern

It looks like a bacterial build up caused by over feeding. I got that in my 5 gallon from over feeding. Remove what you can and cut back on food. If that doesn't get rid of it you can use the peroxide treatment. Get a syringe and pull up 3 cc of hydrogen peroxide, the stuff you clean wounds with. Turn off filter and slowly squirt peroxide onto white stuff. Wait 15 minutes and turn the filter back on. This has become my go to for algae and stuff. Works great and doesn't harm the fish or invertebrates.

I don't feed I have nothing in my tank yet but does it hurt any plants. Thanks.

If you post this information, we will be able to help you better:
-how long has tank been set up
-is it cycled
-ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels
-phosphate levels
-type of substrate
-What type of lighting you use and how long you run it daily
-what fertilizers (if any) do you use
-do you use a carbon source (liquid or CO2)

It is a 5 gallon planted tank that has been cycled and running for almost a month 0 nitrites and ranges from 0-20 nitrates the substrate is a planted tank substrate I found at the petsmart near my house (before I found a good LFS)

And ran DIY co2 for a while and now stopped after seeing this stuff

Lights are on 12 hours a day and is around a watt per gallon(I use LED lights on it)

You don't have fish and you don't add fertilizers but your nitrates are 20? Are they coming from your tap water?
You should run your lights only 8 hours, and add a comprehensive fertilizer. Seachem flourish in combination with API leaf zone gives all the macro and micros you'll need.
With low light, you really don't need CO2, but it will help plant growth and preventing algae.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that hairgrass is a very high light, high maintenance plant that you probably won't have much luck with getting to carpet :/
With your light, try plants like anubias and crypts in addition to your java ferns.
The white growth looks like a mold or fungus to me, but when all the other things are balanced in your tank it should go away on it's own.

The hair grass is actually shooting runners and filling in like I want it to. The hydrogen peroxide broke it down good and is helping thanks for all the help.

The nitrates may be from me adding some cycle starter a few weeks ago

Back
Top Bottom