What is this?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! I just noticed this strand of who-knows-what in my betta tank. The tank is the Vita (from Kickstarter; made by Ecoxotic; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1652660578/vita-bring-life-into-your-home). I had it set up before, but the betta died about a month after I got it. :( I cleaned the rocks and followed the directions that came with it. I did use tap water but used a conditioner/dechlorinator. Plus I let it sit for a couple of days before adding the fish.

After he died, I cleaned everything (rocks and tank) with white vinegar and rinsed it all well. I set it back up (a snail moved from the 1st tank to the 2nd). We tried again thinking that maybe the fish wasn't healthy. We aren't sure what was wrong with him. No white spots. He just wouldn't eat anything. I tried all kinds of foods and "treats" (bloodworms, etc.).

Now this weird stream thing is in the tank. I clean it weekly with about a 50% water change. He is not over fed. His appetite is great. His coloring has changed, but I'm not sure if that is because he was still immature when we got him. His face was mostly black, and now it looks like there is a film on his whole body. It's not white. It looks like he has been is dirty water or something.

I have attached a picture of now (with the weird "thing" in it) and two of when we first got him.

Any suggestions? Should I switch to RO/DI water? I don't want to lose another fish.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469283317.603068.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469283373.837595.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469283385.797676.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Also, temp shouldn't be an issue. I live in Charleston, SC, and it's very warm right now. The tank is also away from any vents.

The stringy thing looks like fungus.
What you describe on the fish could be a fungal or bacterial infection. Someone will need to chime in because illness/disease is not something I am verse in.
Before you change the water conditions with any additives, it would be a good idea to get the water parameters: pH, kh, gh along with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate (however, you did mention it was cycled).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think you're probably right. Now I'm more worried about the fish because after posting the original post, he hasn't eaten and isn't as active. I should probably repost under the sick fish topic to get more views. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom