What is this catfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaxi

Aquarium Advice Regular
He's quite shy and spends alot of time between a rock and driftwood. Would also like to know if he would be less shy if I got one or two more for company? He's so beautiful it's a shame not to see him. Any ideas of what sort of catfish he is...?

Attachments

• image-1848014308.jpg
    image-1848014308.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3197972039.jpg
    image-3197972039.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 91
Looks very much like my african featherfin (synodontis). I don't know much about the other species, but I can tell you that mine is really shy. It took him about 6 months to relax enough to swim all over the tank at any time of day. I still can't approach the tank though or he'll scurry into his hiding place.

If the tank is large enough, you could have more. But personally, I wouldn't advise it.

What size tank is he in?

Looks like a Synodontis eupterus in the middle of changing pattern.

Yep looks like a feather fin cat to me. Had one similar I think.

LyndaB said:
Looks very much like my african featherfin (synodontis). I don't know much about the other species, but I can tell you that mine is really shy. It took him about 6 months to relax enough to swim all over the tank at any time of day. I still can't approach the tank though or he'll scurry into his hiding place.

If the tank is large enough, you could have more. But personally, I wouldn't advise it.

What size tank is he in?

Thanks for the identification guys. I can research him now. He's in a 32 gallon (4ft) tank. Do they like company of their own kind or aren't they bothered?

I have mine in a 75 gallon tank, with blood parrots and emperor tetras. It's not advised to have more than one of this particular synodontis as they are known loners and can get too aggressive with others of their kind.

Your tank is not large enough to keep him, I'm afraid. He could grow to 8 inches and that would be mighty cramped in your tank. It's not really fair to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom