What is this for???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlywed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my 55 gallon tank, there is a piece of plastic that spans the middle of the tank. I think this may be just to hold my 2 24" light hoods but fear it could be there for another reason. I noticed that the piece was cracked and when I started to fill the tank up, the top must have bowed out and the center piece broke. Now what? Is this dangerous? Is that center piece even necessary except to hold the 2 hoods?

TIA for your answers!

Jim

Can you post a picture? It is protecting the lights from water/splashes? It may just be structural. Does it still feel sturdy?

That center piece has the very important role of keeping the fish tank from exploding outward. without it, you run the very real risk of your tank just falling apart at the seams.

Sorry to give you bad news, but that tank is done...

Yes, it is dangerous. I believe you're referring to the center brace (not sure what else to call it). Larger tanks have these to keep the tank from bowing out. They need that support so that the glass does not eventually crack. If that happens, depending on the placement of the crack, and how big it is, you could be looking at losing all of that water on your floor, along with the fish, plants, etc. And your filter would probably run dry as well. The point is, it's bad :p If you're just setting the tank up now I would drain it and see if you can't repair it somehow. I have a tank I'm going to repair this summer with the same problem.

Check out these pics:
Broken1.jpg

Broken2.jpg

I figured as much. Oh well...at least I don't have any fish in there yet. I'll drain the water and get a new tank! I would try to fix this one but I'm afraid that it would eventually break again so it's just best to start new.

Thanks to all who posted!

Jim

I would get a piece of plastic, you could use almost anything that is flat, and cut it to fit under the old brace and drill a few holes so you could attach the new piece and get some 2 part epoxy. Gotta do this with the tank empty but mix your epoxy, spread it on the new piece and the underside of the brace, run some screws through the 2 peices and let it sit. After it's dry you could take the screws out if they were to long and get some shorted one's so they will stay out of the water.

I agree with justmy2cents. This repair would do the trick, and if done right, would be stronger than the original brace! I don't remember who, but a while back someone else in this forum had repaired the brace and it was fine.

I remember reading that also. He added a center glass brace to the tank. You need a piece of glass (say 6-8 " wide) cut to fit across the center of the tank, and silicone that to the front & back panes.

More info on tank building can be found in the DIY forum.

It is possible to buy the enire top piece/frame and replace.
I had an old 55 gal that did not have the center piece at all and my lfs offered to order the style with the center piece for about 25.00. Just pull off the old and install the new. I was told they are not "glued/fastened" on, their purpose is to brace the glass fom bowing outward.
I was not brave enough to do it though an gave it up to somone doing the reptile thang.

Back
Top Bottom