What is this gunk on my dw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
This dw was in my 10 gal for months and has been boiled and soaked a million times. It now resides in my 29 gal and thankfully doesn't seem to leech tannins anymore.

Now there are these little rust colored patches on it. Is it some type of algae or something?

I don't know if it's detrimental, but it's pretty unsightly, so I would like to find away to get rid of it.

Attachments

• image-2509849053.jpg
    image-2509849053.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3606935881.jpg
    image-3606935881.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 126
Hm, I looked at your link and the picture doesn't really look similar to my situation. However, my tank was set up several weeks ago using seeded materials, so it may be a possibility.
It described brown algae as being 'muddy,' but the spots on my dw look more like paint. They have no depth and don't really look like growths.
What do you think?

Have you tried to rub it off? BA just rubs off really. The color on your DW looks a lot like my BA ... although I don't have it on my DW, but do on my ornaments.

BTW you are correct ... the pic on the link doesn't look like my BA either LOL. On the link they look more lumpy like. On my ornaments it looks like a brown color stain .. like if you spray painted brown on them.

I haven't tried rubbing it off yet, but I will. I've heard diatoms looking like rust before, but that picture really threw me off! I'm glad it's not a huge deal. Do you think it would be bad to leave on for a week or two, or would I run the risk of it spreading? I have a dog bite on my hand that prevents me from any maintenance.

If it's indeed BA ..It'll probably spread a bit a week from now ... but it should be nothing so out of control. It's unsightly more than anything really. Honestly I've gotten so used to it and it adds natural color to some of my fake slate cave ornaments LOL. Doesn't bother my fish at all ... they could care less if its there or not.

You can leave it, chances are more will appear :(. I have a toothbrush I use for these types of situations and will give certain areas a scrubbing as I'm doing a PWC so I can vac it out (as much as posible anyways) during the scrub down to suck it out of the tank.

I can try to vacuum it, but my gravel vac has super low suction.

The only issue I have is submerging my hand, I don't want any bacteria to get into the wound :( I just got my cast off, so I should be able to take care of it within a week or two once I'm fully healed.

Ok my friends, I'm finally able to take care if this problem, but I have a few questions:
The diatoms are now on some of my large rocks and decorations, is wiping them off going to be a suitable solution?
Will the diatoms persist or just go away with time?
Is there a possibility of them being on the gravel?

Ok my friends, I'm finally able to take care if this problem, but I have a few questions:
The diatoms are now on some of my large rocks and decorations, is wiping them off going to be a suitable solution?
Will the diatoms persist or just go away with time?
Is there a possibility of them being on the gravel?

In my tank I only find them on some of the ornaments, leaves of some plants and glass. None on the substrate. Yes you can just wipe off the ones on the ornaments, glass etc. Unfortunately BA may be a persistent problem if your water is rich in silicas ... which can happen if in your PWC source. You could also try reducing the time your lights are on. You could try a 4 hour on, 4 hour off cycle. I do believe otto's make short work of BA ... but you'd want to double check.

I've gotten so used to it that I just leave it ... except what's on the glass and leaves ... I like the reddish brown color they bring to the tank.

I never had a problem with it in my 10g, so I'm unsure if it's from the water. I've been considering getting some sort of bottom dweller to help with the problem, but I know I'm pretty stocked with 2 goldies in a 29. I'm not sure what my options will be.

Yep ... two goldfish pretty much puts you at the stock limit. I'm not sure what bottom dwellers would work for you. However, I would think if you have good filtration and stay on top of PWC's maybe you could get an otto? Someone who's had experience with them could better tell you.

If you have extra filtration (double is good, triple is better), I'd say you can add a bit more, but I wouldn't suggest adding anything just to deal with diatoms (BA) unless it were amano shrimp. Otos should handle it (athough mine never did :p), but when the BA burns out and it will, you're gonna be stuck with a fish that won't go after a whole lot IMO/E.

I think I'm filtering 40-60. I love my two little guys, but I've been itching to add something else. Any suggestions?

Sssea said:
I think I'm filtering 40-60. I love my two little guys, but I've been itching to add something else. Any suggestions?

I have white cloud minnows in with my goldies and they get along great together. Also nerite snails and shrimp, but my Moors are to blind and slow to go after the ghost and amano shrimp, plus it's heavily planted. Goldfish love Anacharis, it's sold in most every LFS and it's cheap, so I let them eat all they want. It also grows like a weed in most any light and soaks up no3 like a sponge, so there's no down side IMO/E.

Do moors usually go blind? Mine seems like he has very little perception of his surroundings, he constantly darts into the glass. I thought it was some sort of neurological issue.

Do anacharis need ferts or anything? I've killed every non aquatic plant I've ever owned, so I'm a little gun shy about putting plants in my tank.

Shrimp are out of the question. I tried to start a shrimp tank to get over my phobia of them, but had a panic attack when I saw them in the store. Haha it's pretty sad. I've had mystery snails, but their poo is a nightmare. I wouldn't mind nerites, if I could find any big enough to stay out of my goldies' mouths, lol. Ottos seem pretty cute, but I know nothing about them.

Back
Top Bottom