What is this in my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThomasG07

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is this purple stuff growing on a fake piece of driftwood in my african cichlid tank?

Attachments

• image-2881979973.jpg
    image-2881979973.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 70
Alien life form? :)

But honestly I think it might possibly be cyanobacteria. Sometimes it can appear blue. If it's not that then i'm not sure what else it could be.

What are your water parameters as well as photoperiod?

Alien life form? :)

But honestly I think it might possibly be cyanobacteria. Sometimes it can appear blue. If it's not that then i'm not sure what else it could be.

What are your water parameters as well as photoperiod?

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. Ph 8.0. Temp 78. Lights on for 11 hours a day. A leave them on so long to intentionally let my rocks get covered in algae but this is the first time I've seen this bacteria

Is the tank cycled? Did you recently do a large pwc? Did you try scraping it off?

Oh yes tank has been cycled for a couple years. I do a 50 percent water change every week due to the fact that african cichlids **** A LOT lol. No I have not tried scraping it off cus I actually like the way it looks and was just wondering what it was because I've never seen it before. But if it is harmful to the fish I will clean it off

Oh yes tank has been cycled for a couple years. I do a 50 percent water change every week due to the fact that african cichlids **** A LOT lol. No I have not tried scraping it off cus I actually like the way it looks and was just wondering what it was because I've never seen it before. But if it is harmful to the fish I will clean it off

Do you use any nitrate removers? I agree with the above that it does look like cyanobacteria. I would scrape it off and see if some reappears. If so you may have an issue. Is there more anywhere else in the tank?

Do you use any nitrate removers? I agree with the above that it does look like cyanobacteria. I would scrape it off and see if some reappears. If so you may have an issue. Is there more anywhere else in the tank?

No nitrate removers. Actually it is only growing on the fake piece of plastic driftwood. My rocks don't have it or my real driftwood

Back
Top Bottom