What is this on my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tank: 10g, planted, cycled, 1 male betta, 80 degrees.

This strange, fluff looking substance showed up on my betta today after he emerged from sleeping near the roots of a plant.

The best way I can describe it is white fluff looking, like lint you'd find in the dryer. Just want to make sure this is just debris from the plants and not some sort of illness I'm unaware of. It's not ick in case anyone was thinking that!

Note: those bluish/white spots on his sides are part of his coloration and not what I'm trying to point out ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447966809.343355.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447966822.426375.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447966837.959361.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447966864.949247.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

White "fluff of fuzz" is usually a sign of a fungal infection. Inspect him for any open wounds of badly torn fins.

Caleb

Just looked it up and yep that's it. He's only been in the tank 4 days so it was possibly the stress.

Medication/treatment recommendations?

He really doesn't look well now. Laying on the bottom, sometimes on his side, constantly and heavy breathing.

Going to get meds now if anyone has any recommendations.

I can't seem to find my Nerite snail, which is unsettling considering I read fungal meds kill snails and I need to find him to take him out...

Ha, actually just bought it before I saw this. Any idea if it's toxic to snails?

Yep, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, circa 5ppm nitrate. Nothing to suggest that was the cause.

He had been in a bowl for weeks at the fish store, no doubt that weakened his immune system then the shock of moving. Not surprising, really, given the conditions bettas are kept in. What's surprising to me is how quickly it seems to have spread.

Try to find snail before the meds.
Do a good sized water change before meds and remove carbon from filter if you are using any.
Add extra air to water if possible(air stone , lower water level to make filter return splash)

Managed to find the snail. Removed the carbon.

Already done the meds though so I can't do a water change. Will do one in 4 days, though, as it suggests on the directions.

Can move over the bubble stone from my 55.

Well, I woke up this morning and he'd sadly passed away.

I don't understand this hobby sometimes. People keep bettas in horrible conditions for years. Yet I take an extremely healthy (and beautiful) looking one from a tiny bowl into his very own nice, planted, 10 gallon tank. He contracts a simple fungal infection in a matter of hours one day, I treat it a couple hours later, and he dies from it by morning...

Yeah, it does, just sucks.

Should I continue the fungal treatment even though nothing else is in there (in case it's hiding in gravel & plants)? Also, when I do change the water do I need to wash off the plants or anything?

Fungal is specific to the fish unlike something such as ich that manifests in the water. Just do some water changes to remove the meds and you should be fine.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom