What is this on my filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordinho80

Aquarium Advice Freak
WHAT IS THIS???

filter01.jpg

filter02.jpg

filter03.jpg

You must have hard water. It is a build up of the solids that are in the water. You can get it off with vinegar. Be sure to keep you media wet while you clean it off and to throughly rinse the filter off before putting it back on the tank.

It is hard water deposits (calcium/lime). You can clean it off, but it will keep coming back. As rich suggested, vinegar will take it off.

No it is already in the water. Do not use vinigar if you are going to clean it while it is on the tank.

A razor blade will take it off also. Just make sure there are not chemicals on the blade. When I clean it off I do it during water changes.

Yep, don't be alarmed. Its harmless and I'd bet that a lot of people here have the same thing. I know I get a tad bit.

I have the same issue with the spray effects on my glass canopy. I just cleaned it off last night using white vinegar, it came right off and the canopy looks good as new

My filter gets the same. I've never had any problems scrubbing it off while cleaning the filter.

Back
Top Bottom