What is this on my plants? Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
The title basically tells it all. I saw it on an artificial rock I had but only that and plants. The images should be attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 67
It appears to be the dreaded BBA (black beard or black brush algae). It is not fun to deal with. Are you injecting CO2? What is your lighting like (what size tank, what size lights, how long per day are they on).

I put some liquid co2 that I got at the pet store but learned that I didn't need it.
I have a 55 gallon vivarium with lizard, but 30 gallons full of water, I'm using a t5 bulb but it's. 5.0 uvb tropical light. Has a blueish white color

That isn't an excess of light. A lot of times BBA happens with inconsistent or low CO2 injection, but that isn't the issue either. The best way to kill it is to trim back any leaves and remove if they are really over grown with it, and spot treat everything else using a medicine dropper with either seachem Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). There are a few creatures who are known to eat it, but probably none would be safe with a lizard. True Siamese Algae Eaters (SAEs) will eat it, but you have to make sure you get the right ones - there are a couple other species of fish that look very similar but will not eat it. Amano shrimp may also eat it when it is young or if it isn't out of control, but I would think a lizard would make a short meal of either.

Well I have a Siamese algae water(thought he was some foxtail fish at petco) but I think there is too much for him he probably likes everything else better as I only have one, the lizards can't really catch any fish, they don't seem to want them either. I am going to trim my leaves and spot treat the rest. Thank you!

Sounds good - just don't go too overboard. I wouldn't go much more than about 3-4X the recommend excel dose (or H202 equivalent) per treatment. You will also have to treat several days in a row. As it dies it will start to turn pinkish in color and eventually die back.

Back
Top Bottom