What is this stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshWithGuppies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So recently my fish have been dying off and tonight I found this on my intake sponge.Image1501215103.271285.jpg
If anyone knows what it is and how to gut it off of this it would be much appreciated!

It's algae, bba, nice color though, usually a result of poor flow, too much light and high nitrates. You can dunk the sponge in a h202 bath, should fizz up nicely with that much ;)

Id add the suggestion of doing a water change a day or so after the H2O2 treatment. The dead and decaying algae will just create more nutrients in the water column for future algae to feed on. It can become a vicious circle.
I've been in a battle with BBA for a while now and so far the biggest win came when I increased water circulation via a power head.
Low or fluctuating carbon source is another big contributor to beard algae. Are you injecting CO2 or using any liquid carbon?
I've also recently read that tap water tends to be particularly rich with CO2 and that doing large volume water changes (like me) can be a major factor in creating inconsistent CO2 levels. I'm going to start reducing the amount of water I change each week and see what that does for me. What's your PWC schedule like?

Well, thanks for the help guys, but all my little gups are dead. The only thing left alive are the nerite snails and they seem happy as a clam. I think I'm going to fix that algae problem and try adding some plants then get a different livestock. Thinking maybe rasboras. Again thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom