What is this stuff growing in my plants and rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JazzyBear1982

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394243570.282764.jpg

It's growing on top of all the tall plants and rocks directly near under the lights. I've tried turning the lights on for less time (from 12 hours to 8.5 hours) but it doesn't seem to be working. It kinda looks like rust but it wipes off really easy. I wipe it off and change about 20% of the water approx every 5 days

How do I get rid of it!? It's taking over my tank!

I appreciate your help :)

Has your tank been running for just a few months? If so, it is just a layer of diatoms. It will go away eventually--in a few weeks to a month as your tank begins to mature.

I've only had my tank for about 2.5 months so ya it's pretty new! Is it safe for the fish?

Thanks!

This is plastic plants ? It look like diatoms growing on palstic/glass stuff. If it's a new tank wait few months and problem will solve itself.

New aquariums sillicon release sillicates to water and diatgoms feed on this. It last few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this red stuff also diatoms? It's on a different surface so not sure if that's why the colour is different.

Everything in the tank is fake (ie plants, rocks etc)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394289516.139707.jpg

Diatoms are self limiting and will die off as soon as the excess silicates in the water are used up. Since you have no live plants you can add a phosphate remover to your filter which will absorb excess silicates. Silicone doesn't release silicates into the water.

As for the red stuff it could be the start of cyanobacteria so watch it. If it grows in a sheeting fashion and is shiny that's what it is. Keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom