what is this thing!? help help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just siphoned whatever this thing is up during a water change!
What is it? Why is it in my tank? What do I do now? Is it harmful to my fish? If there's one...how likely is it that there's more?
Sorry for crappy pic, I tried my best to get a good one

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120813_184845.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_184845.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20120813_184855.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_184855.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86
  • ForumRunner_20120813_184907.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120813_184907.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 83
It has 6 legs and 3 tails with little bushy things on them..what the hell

It's damselfly larvae babe. It's ok with large fish but will eat fry or little fish. Think there's a thread on here about them somewhere if you type it into search bar x

Oh no, it was in the guppy and neon tank :( thanks for the ID. I guess I will take out the decor and get to siphoning to make sure there's no more

I found a bug similar to that in my tank not too long ago. Not sure what of was or how it got there, but it kinda scared me.. I had it in a cup for a while while I researched it but I just flushed it eventually. Haven't found another one yet..

That's funny, I did the same lol he's in a Tupperware container at the moment but as soon as I finish the water changes I'm gonna flush it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It scared me too though lol I'd never seen a bug that looked like that before and I haven't a clue as to how he found his way in there

It's likely to be the only one, it would have come as an egg or tiny larvae on a plant if you have a lid on your tank. They eventually leave the tank as rather impressive adults. I'd still do a girly screamy dance if I saw one though lol

I don't have a lid on the tank but I've never seen a damselfly in my house...I suppose anything is possible though. I don't see any more in here.

No nearby pond or lake :/ hmmm I guess if I was REALLY nice I could take him down to the maumee river but I dunno lol

Back
Top Bottom