What is this thing on my driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't even know where to put this, as I have no idea what it is.

It could have been on the driftwood since I put it in the tank, and be something non-aquatic. But it was right near the glass and neither my wife nor I had seen it before. I have a bunch of old photos of the stump but none showing this particular root.

This is it as it first appeared, more or less (I had poked it once so the top is a bit smashed; previously it was rounded just like the bottom not broken off as it appears here):

i-KmKS5j5-XL.jpg

For scale this is about 1/2" long and about 1/8th inch across. The colors are a bit exaggerated in the photo but approximately what the eye sees. It is on a stump with roots sticking out about 18" to 30" in diameter in a 220G tank.

Here is when I poked it with a stick, thinking it was an old bug attached in air, and just stuck.

i-jWccdV4-XL.jpg

It was stuck firmly to the stump on the bottom, and the shell (for want of a better word) hid soft, somewhat feathery stuff inside. Unfortunately I couldn't get the flash inside very well, but you can see some of what was inside at the bottom falling out.

This is another shot

i-3zmKzRG-XL.jpg

that has a bit of false color (the prior is more accurate) but you can see a bit of the feathery stuff inside.

In the tank are: angelfish, plecos, one otto, small sailfin mollies, ramshorn snails and MTS. To my knowledge nothing else.

So... something old stuck to the wood we just never saw?

Some kind of egg case?

Something more interesting?

It looks like one of the large species of roach's egg that we have around here.

Now that's certainly possible given it was sitting around a dusty warehouse a while before I bought it. But i find it hard to believe in 5 months I would not have seen it right there against the glass. but possible.

So nothing aquatic?

Now that's certainly possible given it was sitting around a dusty warehouse a while before I bought it. But i find it hard to believe in 5 months I would not have seen it right there against the glass. but possible.

So nothing aquatic?
That is strange that you never saw it, if it is a roach egg it would never have moved. Another idea is that it's a Isopod but don't know of any in freshwater that look like that in Florida.

In browsing roach egg cases images on line, I think that is indeed what it was, and I pronounce my wife and I blind.

I bet that is just what you wanted to find on your driftwood. Gross. I hate those things. living in Florida myself I hate palmetto bugs. Alison

I bet that is just what you wanted to find on your driftwood. Gross. I hate those things. living in Florida myself I hate palmetto bugs. Alison

Doesn't bother me but debating whether to tell my wife. She just gets annoyed when I call them "Palmetto bugs", and screams "it's a roach!".

Just because it's carrying off the refrigerator on its back I think it deserves a different name. They do raise them big here.

Back
Top Bottom